Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default BBS in a website

I'd like to add an interactive board where users can talk to each other. Is there a plug-in for that?

Of course, I could just create a private Facebook site and link to it, but I've done that with another web and find that some users post a lot of personal stuff, rather than sticking to the web's intent. Then important information gets buried and people stop going there.

Default Re: BBS in a website

There are BBS sites where you can create a personal bulletin board. You might be able to include one into your site with an iframe (if the BBS allows it, not all do)

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    some users post a lot of personal stuff, rather than sticking to the web's intent. Then important information gets buried and people stop going there.
    Why would any form of social interaction be different? Even talkgraphics requires moderators and that should have been the case on a closed FB group too.

I don't see how having a BBS will change anything in terms of what people do.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Why would any form of social interaction be different? Even talkgraphics requires moderators and that should have been the case on a closed FB group too.

I don't see how having a BBS will change anything in terms of what people do.
    I found it easy to set up Facebook with moderators. I don't want members to have access to the code of the a web, nor do I want to be the sole mod. Requires more thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    There are BBS sites where you can create a personal bulletin board. You might be able to include one into your site with an iframe (if the BBS allows it, not all do)
    Thanks Gary. I'll check that out.

I just used the Insert > From Content Catalog > Components > Embed a Website widget to embed this topic http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/embed/

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I just used the Insert > From Content Catalog > Components > Embed a Website widget to embed this topic http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/embed/
    Neat! That's why they pay you the big bucks, Gary.

One thing to remember re this embed method is that whilst it scrolls nicely on a desktop or laptop it's just statich on a mobile devise.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    One thing to remember re this embed method is that whilst it scrolls nicely on a desktop or laptop it's just statich on a mobile devise.
    It's hard to feel sorry for them, the younguns should use proper computers.

Seriously, I don't think it will be a problem in this application and I only expect a few dozen users to drop in. I could be pleasantly surprised.

Gary's solution is ideal, if I can find an app to plug in there. Any suggestions? This is new territory for me.

Thanks for your input. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Could you be more specific, Egg? On Android it just scrolls nicely.