Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Transparency when saving to TGA

Why not just use Paint.net?

It is free, simple and fast to use for something like that and I use it myself if I need to quickly make masks for textures. If you prefer working in Xara you could also save to PNG from Xara as was suggested, load it to Paint.net and just save to TGA to have your transparent TGA image.

Gary,
    I missed your message as I was posting at about the same time.

The reason for the tga is to be able to replace the original tga with a modified one. Then in Movie Edit Pro, apply the template to a video or image and the tga has the transparent part landscape instead of portrait. It is very simple to do in Xara exporting as a png with alpha transparency, but we just wanted to modify part of the effect. I did another one with a green screen object where I wanted the transparency and then just clicked on Chromakey green in MEP, but, this adds a step to the effect.

Of course, we could just recompile the effect with a new name, which we'll probably do anyways.

All,
    Here is a link to the message on the Magix MEP forum with a link to a video showing how to do it in PSP.

You can follow the thread.

I just upgraded to PSP2020 Ultimate by way of the excellent offer of PSP2020U, PhotoMirage (full version), Painter 2019, and PinnacleStudio 23U in a HumbleBundle. $25US for the whole thing, if anyone is interested; 7 days left. I wasn't going to upgrade PSP or Pinnacle, but the price was right.

As Paint.net, that would just add another level of complexity to my tired old brain. I will try importing the green screen png into PSP and creating an alpha mask using the green as a selection.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

After some modifications in PSP, here is the result in Movie Edit Pro. It's not perfect. The dashed line shows the extremity of the background image that shows up in the transparent part of the foreground tga. Unfortunately, we have to recompile the effect anyways (with a new name) as the background image comes in at the wrong size and shape. Thus, we could use a png with alpha transparency or green screen done in Xara. This was an interesting exercise; I'll file this away for the next time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beamer result in MEP.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	125281
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

thanks for the link John

in principle, allowing for UI differences, thats how I'd do it in PS [and affinity] but... it does not appear that PSP allows you to see the channels themselves ?

and talking of UI - that PSPX9 looks nothing like how I remember the new PSP2020 from when I got a quick look a while back...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Below is a screen shot of PSP2020 showing the alpha channel turned on - you can see the dashed line in the main window around the transparent checkerboard part, and the interface for loading/saving an alpha channel in the box at the lower right.

Name:	PSP2020 Interface showing alpha channel.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	125285

Note also the 2020 interface. Compared to PSPX9, there's not a lot of difference, but 2020 has a few more top menu items; Enhance photo and Palettes were moved up from the toolbar area, User Interface was added as far as I can tell. There have been many changes since X9 and there are long lists of changes on the PSP forum.

There are also 2 other interface workspace views - Photography and Essentials. What you see above is Complete.

Photography: this is a touch-friendly workspace

Name:	PSP2020 Interface - Photography.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	125286

Essentials:

Name:	PSP2020 Interface - Essentials.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	125287

While I'm at it and as a follow along to another thread about using an external bitmap program, I use PSP as my external bitmap editor for Xara. Upon exiting PSP after making changes and saving, the image in Xara is automatically updated.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

thanks again - I'm a bit of a junkie for this stuff - looks like I only saw the photography interface need to dig deeper if I get the chance...

I see the alpha mask [channel] dialog box - my query was whether you can access the red green blue channels.. in your screen shot [and the video] the program is set to layer not channel[s]

still I can look at that in due course now I know there is more to see - also youe are using the 'ultimate' version, not necessarily the one i saw...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Under Image, there is a selection to Split Channel and 3 choices: Split to RGB, Split to HSL, and Split to CMYK. Is this what you mean?
    Splitting to RGB creates 3 tabs, one for each channel.

The Ultimate version is just PaintShop Pro + a bonus collection of software. There is nothing different in the program if you get Ultimate.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

ok thanks again - when I get a chance to look again, because it is not installed on my computer, ~I will check this out

the split does sound like what I was looking for...
    Nothing lasts forever...