Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Measurements, Scaling & Defaults

Hi Everyone,

Myself, I commonly work in different scaling modes and unit types depending on what kind of project I have. Commonly I create myself templates and use those, but XDP seems to have a limit of 21 templates. It would be nice to be able to switch things on the fly...

Please see attached photo for the requested idea; (image seems to have been really compressed during upload)

Thank you
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara - Scaling & Measurements.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	125250

Default Re: Measurements, Scaling & Defaults

Hi mvsnco, TG has an image size limitation of 800px so unfortunately your image is difficult to see (as you point out)

I was unaware of a limit to the template numbers.

However as a workaround why not create & save numerous xar/web files containing your desired units (say "Units-Feet-Scale-1Foot-1Mile.xar")

Then you can just open that file & immediately save it to a different name and work on that.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, yeah its been 3 years since I've been able to come back to the forums so I forgot.. I re-uploaded the images individually below;

In terms of the template limitation, its when you click on File > New (then a list pops up)... so when you save as a template, that list will not go past 21... So the suggestion you made is essentially how I actually do it, but my template list can get huge as I design from tiny items to very large scale... I will put together a concept for a templates menu once I have a moment.

As for the suggestion, its basically to be able to modify measurements/scaling on the fly from the ruler.. utilizing the part where it specifies the unit type... so just expanding on that.

Please see the pictures below; the proportions may be a little incorrect but its just to show the idea...

On the fly Unit/Scaling

Name:	Xara - Scaling & Measurements-1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	125251
    This would be suggestion A, a simple drop down menu

Name:	Xara - Scaling & Measurements-2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	125252
    This would be suggestion B, a more advanced menu that offers the ability to modify the scaling as well

Default Unit type setting

Name:	Xara - Scaling & Measurements-3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	125253
    I included this one as I find even though I set it to say Inches... my documents seem to change and always have to change the setting...

------

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi mvsnco, TG has an image size limitation of 800px so unfortunately your image is difficult to see (as you point out)

I was unaware of a limit to the template numbers.

However as a workaround why not create & save numerous xar/web files containing your desired units (say "Units-Feet-Scale-1Foot-1Mile.xar")

Then you can just open that file & immediately save it to a different name and work on that.

I can see what you're after but I think it would be most unlikely to be implemented. Units can be created on the fly say in a pixel default unit page it's possible to create a shape and then type in 2.65in in the Width & Height / Width Window. But changing unit and scaling part way through a document would still be universal to all elements on the page.

I think this would be a far better approach but as I say I honestly can't remember any posts complaining of the limitation of template numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	125255  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

In XDPX, you have:
    Recent files
    The File menu shows a list of the most recently loaded or saved files in its 'Open recent' sub-menu. This list gives a quick way to reload any of those files. This option lets you change the number of files listed (between 1 and 20 files).
    The default number of Templates is probably linked to the same code.

To increase beyond, I set up default .XAR files and have them in a quick access folder and I just drag onto the Toolbar area, remembering to immediately Save As for the current design.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat