Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default complicated popup menu question

I'm working on a popup menu based on this concept:
    https://tympanus.net/Development/ResponsiveMultiLevelMenu/

Here is my working sample so far:
    http://cigfamilies.com/menutest/index.htm

I'm just using a series of popup menus, and as you can see, it's not bad.
    The code for the "back" button on the submenus is something I found on the XaraXhris "how to do popups" video -
    basically it entails closing the submenu popup while at the same time opening the main menu popup with a link such as popup: "menu1" close "menu2".

As you can see, the main menu when on the homepage closes automatically.
    That is to say the hamburger triggers the main menu via a mouseover effect, and when you mouse away, the menu fades away. That's perfect, that's what I want.

The problem I am encountering (and this is the complicated part) is that when I click on a subcategory such as "bowls", and then go "back" to the main menu, the main menu no longer closes automatically.
    It is now "stuck", and won't close unless I again click the word "home" or refresh the page.
    Naturally we an't ask our users to do that.

Can anyone give me a tip as to how to retain the "close automatically" effect when I click "back" from one of the submenus?
    Hopefully I've clarified the issue adequately.
    I've also attached the .xar file. menutest.xar

Thank you

Default Re: complicated popup menu question

Your post was moderated because new members are not supposed to be permitted to add links (spam consideration)

But as your links are appropriate to your questions the post is approved.

Have you tried simply created a vertical nav bar, with all your fly out menus, and adding this menu to one new Menu layer?

yes, it's just that the built-in navbar doesn't give me the effect I want, so I was trying to recreate the codrops menu to some degree, where the submenus essentially replace the main menu until the user goes "back".
    I just wonder why the main menu originally "closes automatically, but after navigating to a submenu and clicking "back", the main menu no longer "closes automatically".

I just wonder why the main menu originally "closes automatically, but after navigating to a submenu and clicking "back", the main menu no longer "closes automatically".
    I have no idea. Egg or Acorn or Chris or Siran or someone might have a better answer.

I prefer to create a menu like this with layers but I rarely get into a lot of sub menus.

The nav bar feature is OK for a standard menu bar but after that leaves a lot to be desired.

Actually I partly got the idea to create a custom menu like this from you gwpriester, and this post from about a year ago: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...t=button+state. I was successful in recreating the codrops custom menu in xara using the html placeholder, but had conflicts with the mobile variant so tried to recreate it using popups.

There is a third party solution http://cssmenumaker.com/free-css-menus (says free I think it costs $20). This is really what Xara should have done with the Nav Bar Tool. Have a look, you can try it for free, and see if this works for you.

I'm fairly sure you can get layers to do this too but after a while it gets so cumbersome. Slightly better for mobile variant because you don't need the mouse over layer.

Rising to Gary's bait, here's how I would attack it.

Confession 1 - I don't use Xara's Navbars as I find making my own easier
    Confession 2 - It's late, I'm tired, and I really liked that Raspberry liqueur

Bowls.web

great, thanks for the input. Not quite sure yet how I will proceed, but I'm in no rush. Using the opportunity to get to know xara better

I cleaned the .web file up a bit now the Raspberry liqueur is only a headache.

It's just one layer 'submenu' and Xara's built in animation.

Bowls1.web