Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stupid question about editing

Assuming there's no such thing as a stupid question, here's my dilemma:

I have a website. I bought XARA Premium, and used it to update the site, page by page. I suppose the individual page method isn't the best way, but for me it has worked well.

I've been getting offers for upgrading to XARA Pro X, so I did just that. Now, I'm using Pro to make edits to some of my existing pages made with Premium.

Comment, one thing I've found interesting is that there are now two versions of each page -- one with the Chrome avatar and one with the XARA avatar. I use the XARA one.

Now for the stupid question: I want to insert a new paragraph in the middle of the page. I need to make room. I don't know of any "insert" function so I guess the way to do this is to highlight the entire rest of the page and "group" it together. Move it down to allow room, and when finished move it to the desired position and ungroup.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this. If I make a box and highlight everything in it, some of it won't highlight. Then I can't get it to move.

So my stupid questions is, how do I insert text in the center of the page?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Stupid question about editing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tayman View Post
    one thing I've found interesting is that there are now two versions of each page -- one with the Chrome avatar and one with the XARA avatar. I use the XARA one.
    These indicate program associated with each file. I'm thinking that the Xara Icon shows the project file and the Chrome Icon shows the web page that you created.

Copy the paragraph you want to insert.

Find the place in the existing text where you want to add the selection, and Ctrl + V to paste the new text. You will be asked if you want to format the text in HTML or Unformatted Text. Choose Unformatted Text.

Gary, I fear you may just have used the Text tool and place the cursor and started typing. This gives you what I would call the Infinite Typewriter mode; as you type the line just extends until to hit a carriage return.
    In other words, manual text wrapping. This is a Xara Text Line.

When you drag out the cursor horizontally right, you have a Xara Text Column that word-wraps. You resize by grabbing either end. If you drag to the left you get upside down text that is rendered as an image (still editable in Xara).

When you drag out the cursor diagonally right-down, you have a Xara Text Area that word-wraps and overflows. You resize by grabbing any corner. You have to use the Select tool to invert text.

If you could advise how you page is composed, we can help further.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks everyone.

I'm thinking, and please correct me if I'm off-track, that Xara Pro formats the files differently from Xara Premium, and that MAGIX has allowed the two files to allow easier importing of a Premium file to Pro. Obviously I'm going to remove the Premium program after a time. The entire Xara experience is very different from using Dreamweaver or other site builders -- I like the results but it all takes some getting used to.

Indeed, the one thing where I can use some help, is inserting text and allowing the rest of the page to make way for it. Later today I'll try the suggestions. Again, thanks everyone.

If you want to see what I'm working with specifically, the page is http://garytayman.com/power.htm My site describes stereo solutions for antique/collector cars, and this page provides some information and tips for buying/installing speakers in cars that simply weren't made to accommodate stereos. It is a plain-language description for people who are not exactly tech-savvy. I want to add some text just before the "Let's choose Our Speaker Locations" heading.

Thanks everyone.

I'm thinking, and please correct me if I'm off-track, that Xara Pro formats the files differently from Xara Premium, and that MAGIX has allowed the two files to allow easier importing of a Premium file to Pro. Obviously I'm going to remove the Premium program after a time. The entire Xara experience is very different from using Dreamweaver or other site builders -- I like the results but it all takes some getting used to.

Indeed, the one thing where I can use some help, is inserting text and allowing the rest of the page to make way for it. Later today I'll try the suggestions. Again, thanks everyone.

If you want to see what I'm working with specifically, the page is http://garytayman.com/power.htm My site describes stereo solutions for antique/collector cars, and this page provides some information and tips for buying/installing speakers in cars that simply weren't made to accommodate stereos. It is a plain-language description for people who are not exactly tech-savvy. I want to add some text just before the "Let's choose Our Speaker Locations" heading.
    Sorry Gary, totally wrong. The .WEB file and the .XAR file formats are identical. All that is different is the function XDPX has more of over XWDP. If you create a design file in either it is readable in both; some XDPX functions will not be editable but they will still render. Magix has done nothing to either program other than to force nagware into them.

Keep the XWDP program, it is still fully functional. I have a Thread on what is possible with an older version; you'll have to search for it on TG.

Looking at your power page, what you need is a Text Area with a soft-group image that Repels text under set up for each topic. Also this soft-group should have a basic Push of 5px.
    You then clone the group and place under the existing one. They will now never overlap. As you type in any Text Area, it will push all others down. Extending any Text Area does the same.

All you are then playing with is big blobs.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks everyone.

The Xara products use the same format, but.. ..newer/more capable version will add things that older versions don't understand.

Xara software is a web page/site builder using it's own proprietary format and then a web page/site is generated. Dreamweaver doesn't have a project file in the same way that Xara does - you are working with HTML continually - no generator.

Using Xara to create HTML is akin to using word to create a PDF.

>>>>Looking at your power page, what you need is a Text Area with a soft-group image that Repels text under set up for each topic. Also this soft-group should have a basic Push of 5px.
    You then clone the group and place under the existing one. They will now never overlap. As you type in any Text Area, it will push all others down. Extending any Text Area does the same.

All you are then playing with is big blobs.

Thanks, although I don't quite understand. Is this an option that I select when opening a text box? Also, do I still need to make a group out of everything below that point? I'm still not certain of the procedure.

As for the Xara format, I understand that it uses its own proprietary design. As I said, it's taking a little getting used to but I like the results and don't want to go back. And on that subject -- whenever I "Export" it to the website then upload it, I upload both the page itself and everything in its supporting folder. It's a LOT of files! With each edit, do I need to re-upload the entire folder (as I'm doing now) or upload only a few certain files?

Thanks again!

whenever I "Export" it to the website then upload it, I upload both the page itself and everything in its supporting folder. It's a LOT of files! With each edit, do I need to re-upload the entire folder (as I'm doing now) or upload only a few certain files?
    It needs to be all of them.

Acorn

Okay, after two days of this, and finally asking for help, I'm as confused as ever. I highlighted the entire rest of the page and selected Apply Soft Group. Doesn't seem to do much of anything. I tried Group and tried to move it, and it looks like it selected only the pictures and not the text, and moving it messed up the entire page.

Seriously this CAN'T be this hard! How in the Sam Hill do I insert some text?

I move my cursor to the place I want to insert. Then what?