Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Ampersands. 44 in fact.

For me, acorn, I've tried to find a suitable backup program if MAGIX manages to sink Xara...have not found one.

Xara's not the only game in town, but I cannot throw away an investment of decades getting comfortable and productive. Moreover, I wrote a tutorial on how to do something I felt was not demanding, and I discovered Affinity Designer doesn't have Blends or Contours, Inkscape—admirably cobbled—is missing a few shape manipulation features, Illustrator doesn't have a color-tagging feature, CorelDRAW, in addition to being expensive and on a subscription plan...I could go on.

But won't.

Hey, I gave away some neat ampersands and really don't want to start lamenting over the very program I used to organize and refine the ampersands.

And I realize I started it.

My Best,

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	low poly heart.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	126212

(Here's a good one for St. Valentine's Day)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    For me, acorn, I've tried to find a suitable backup program if MAGIX manages to sink Xara...have not found one.
    Gare, insightful as ever.

My backup solution is to keep my Xara Desktop applications accessible through their version 11 invocation as I don't think Magix or Xara can sink them as the Cloud linkage is nebulous.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Happy Birthday in Stained Glass

I forget the exact features, but I have version 16, all four of them I think (!) installed. And because Xara takes up so little hard disk space, and because you can but a 7TB drive for $100 here in the States, I leave several version on my system.

This card required I use Xara Designer, Photoshop, ArtRage, Corel Painter, and about 3 days of work.

Name:	hb Barbara 2020.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	126214

Because it's my spouse Barbara's birthday!

Happy, Happy when you find this post, darling!

xoxox,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 27 January 2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Gart
    Gare, hijacking the alphabet too: Gary, Gare & Gart - the YET Triplets.

You did overlook a few useful metrics in your creation of that wonderful stained glass - innate talent and years of practice.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

my backup plan is to keep xara ver 11 and hope whatever direction the company goes they will say afloat so i will always have access to it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Very nice card, Gare.

Default Who put the X in Xara? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gare, hijacking the alphabet too: Gary, Gare & Gart - the YET Triplets.

You did overlook a few useful metrics in your creation of that wonderful stained glass - innate talent and years of practice.

Acorn
    I do not understand math in the least; that's why I use a computer. I expect metrics is a shortcoming across the board, in this instance a draughting board. :)

"Gart" is a mistyping of "Gary"; the T being next to the Y, on my keyboard at least.

I'm not being defensive (not, NOT, NOT!!!) but I do know how to spell, but I never learned how to type. I can hunt and peck with the best of them; when I received my first contract to write a book, and totally oblivious to the art of typing, I think Barbara and I shared several bottles that night!

Here is something I designed especially for my Desktop.

I'm probably alone in my hate, hate, HATE for the XD desktop icon. I've always felt there was some mysterious power to the character X.

I've also always believed TV works because there's little people inside it.

Name:	The Power of X thumb.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	126217

The design scales well to a 64 by 64 pixel size, as you can see at right here; I put the Taskbar vertically on my Desktop and you can see a custom toolbar featuring the icon.

Download it if you like, to see its simplicity, or use it as I've done. The text can be removed and it's curves, not text. The font is called Merlin Hand from Linotype.

Have a good beginning of the week!

Gary

Name:  ViewMaster.gif
Views: 703
Size:  10.4 KB

Lightbulb Happy Easter 2020

Easter is NOT called off. The way you can celebrate it and not die has just been modified a little!

Celebrate it in your hearts. You are blessed, you are connected.

Most of all, love yourself this Easter. There's only one of you, so #StayInside

Name:	Happy-Easer.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	126761

Name:  Life-doesn't-suck-today.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  22.2 KB

My Best,

g-
    Last edited by Gare; 10 April 2020 at 11:11 PM.

Default My Low-poly Pink Panther AND a tutorial!

Hi—

It's not really important how I created the pink pussycat; I like it, I enjoyed drawing it, I even put it up on FB. I'm that unashamed of it.

Name:	Pink-Panther.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	126763

The following is some fun-oriented magic, as I show you how to turn the pink pussycat to any number of different colors, using only a click or two, and by following my totally self-indulgent and verbose set of steps:

I thought this drawing of a low-poly pussy cat might make an interesting tutorial, but not about how I created it, but rather how I colored it.

If you download and open the Pink Panther.xar file, some screen captures and this text is also in the document, so learn at your own speed.

1. With the document open in Xara Designer, press Ctrl+Shift+C to display Xara’s Options. Click the view tab, toward the bottom of the panel, you’ll see Delete Unused color and styles on exit. Clear this box (make it “un-checked') before moving on, because you will probably want to tinker with this same color set I have in this document long after I’ve gone home and went to sleep. See Figure 1. Click Apply, then Click OK, and you’re done customized so shut the Options tabbed box.

Name:	Fig1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	126764

Choose the Selector tool (The Pick tool, whatever!) and then click on any piece of the pink cat.

2. Pres Ctrl+E to display the Color Editor. Switch the color mode to HSB before moving on. You’ll see that the top of the palette reports that what you’ve clicked is a local color fill. This one took me a while to suss. It means the chosen color is local to this document, which is true and it’s not true.

This pink is a special tagged color—IOW, it’s been defined as a shade of a master color, the master color having been defined as a pinkish color. Actually, go to the first color swatch on the color bar. That’s the mater, or parent color. All the colors that make up the cat pieces are shades of that master color. What’s not true about this local color jazz is that if you copy the master color to a new document, you can repeat the steps to come to your heart’s delight.

So in Figure 2, the bottom field tells you the chosen color in the piece’s master color is “Pink Panther”, and just above that, the field reports that the current color based on the master color is a shade of the Pink Panther color.

Name:	Fig2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	126765

A shade, usually a term you hear in a paint store: when you add a specific mixture of pure black and pure white to change a color you’re going to want and use, gray, a neutral value makes the target color lighter or darker, without changing the Hue at all, and the saturation might show a little change—for example if the color you add to the desired color is mostly a very light white, you’ll get a pastel of the original, which is both Vale and Saturation changes.
    Now that you know much too much about color theory, let’s light this tutorial and thin image up. You have a pink cat, right?

3. To change the cat to blue:

Make sure nothing is selected on the page. Press Esc…that’ll do it. In figure 2, you were able to identify the swatch upon which all the shades of the pink cat are based. At the top of the Editor is a drop-down where you can choose any and all the colors on the color line. I put the “magic color” at the beginning of my custom color line, so all you have to do is drop the list down and choose the first swatch name.

By the way, if you like to have a lot of colors available, my color line doesn’t suck, you know. If you want to keep all these colors more or less arranged by hue, save this document as the default template. Give it a unique name, boogie time!

To make the cat blue, you’ll redefine the master color, and you do this with the Master color name at the top of the Editor, then mess around with the HSV color marker in the color field. You will get the most noticeable change by altering the hue strip—try this now.

Additionally, you can change the Saturation of the master color, still named Pink Panther but no longer reflects that original color. So Hue will get you to a green or an orange cat, and dragging the puck on the color field left or right adds or subtracts the element we perceive as color, called Hue.

Name:	Fig3.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	126766

Because the cat’s colors are based on shades (black and white values), Value, sometimes called brightness or lightness—won’t produce anything but a muddy new cat, because the Brightness was not keyed to the changeable elements. The shade of the original pink color is set, with an adjustable Hue and Saturation components.
    Have fun, and admire my work, okay😊

Cheers,

Name:  Cheers-box.gif
Views: 735
Size:  9.4 KB

Gary

Default My Low-poly Pink Panther AND a tutorial!

Hi—

It's not really important how I created the pink pussycat; I like it, I enjoyed drawing it, I even put it up on FB. I'm that unashamed of it.

Name:	Pink-Panther.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	126763

The following is some fun-oriented magic, as I show you how to turn the pink pussycat to any number of different colors, using only a click or two, and by following my totally self-indulgent and verbose set of steps:

I thought this drawing of a low-poly pussy cat might make an interesting tutorial, but not about how I created it, but rather how I colored it.

If you download and open the Pink Panther.xar file, some screen captures and this text is also in the document, so learn at your own speed.

1. With the document open in Xara Designer, press Ctrl+Shift+C to display Xara’s Options. Click the view tab, toward the bottom of the panel, you’ll see Delete Unused color and styles on exit. Clear this box (make it “un-checked') before moving on, because you will probably want to tinker with this same color set I have in this document long after I’ve gone home and went to sleep. See Figure 1. Click Apply, then Click OK, and you’re done customized so shut the Options tabbed box.

Name:	Fig1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	126764

Choose the Selector tool (The Pick tool, whatever!) and then click on any piece of the pink cat.

2. Pres Ctrl+E to display the Color Editor. Switch the color mode to HSB before moving on. You’ll see that the top of the palette reports that what you’ve clicked is a local color fill. This one took me a while to suss. It means the chosen color is local to this document, which is true and it’s not true.

This pink is a special tagged color—IOW, it’s been defined as a shade of a master color, the master color having been defined as a pinkish color. Actually, go to the first color swatch on the color bar. That’s the mater, or parent color. All the colors that make up the cat pieces are shades of that master color. What’s not true about this local color jazz is that if you copy the master color to a new document, you can repeat the steps to come to your heart’s delight.

So in Figure 2, the bottom field tells you the chosen color in the piece’s master color is “Pink Panther”, and just above that, the field reports that the current color based on the master color is a shade of the Pink Panther color.

Name:	Fig2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	126765

A shade, usually a term you hear in a paint store: when you add a specific mixture of pure black and pure white to change a color you’re going to want and use, gray, a neutral value makes the target color lighter or darker, without changing the Hue at all, and the saturation might show a little change—for example if the color you add to the desired color is mostly a very light white, you’ll get a pastel of the original, which is both Vale and Saturation changes.
    Now that you know much too much about color theory, let’s light this tutorial and thin image up. You have a pink cat, right?

3. To change the cat to blue:

Make sure nothing is selected on the page. Press Esc…that’ll do it. In figure 2, you were able to identify the swatch upon which all the shades of the pink cat are based. At the top of the Editor is a drop-down where you can choose any and all the colors on the color line. I put the “magic color” at the beginning of my custom color line, so all you have to do is drop the list down and choose the first swatch name.

By the way, if you like to have a lot of colors available, my color line doesn’t suck, you know. If you want to keep all these colors more or less arranged by hue, save this document as the default template. Give it a unique name, boogie time!

To make the cat blue, you’ll redefine the master color, and you do this with the Master color name at the top of the Editor, then mess around with the HSV color marker in the color field. You will get the most noticeable change by altering the hue strip—try this now.

Additionally, you can change the Saturation of the master color, still named Pink Panther but no longer reflects that original color. So Hue will get you to a green or an orange cat, and dragging the puck on the color field left or right adds or subtracts the element we perceive as color, called Hue.

Name:	Fig3.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	126766

Because the cat’s colors are based on shades (black and white values), Value, sometimes called brightness or lightness—won’t produce anything but a muddy new cat, because the Brightness was not keyed to the changeable elements. The shade of the original pink color is set, with an adjustable Hue and Saturation components.
    Have fun, and admire my work, okay😊

Cheers,

Name:  Cheers-box.gif
Views: 735
Size:  9.4 KB

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 13 April 2020 at 03:46 PM.