Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Error message when saving

For some reason, I cannot "Save" my web. I get the error message attached, though the file is not open elsewhere. I tried rebooting the computer, but still get the same error message when I try to save. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara error Capture.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	125150  

Default Re: Error message when saving

Can you attach the web file here Windjammer?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Can you attach the web file here Windjammer?
    Don't know if it's still relevant, Egg. The problem seems to have gone away today, but I've attached the web anyway.

Previously, "Save" generated the error message, BUT if I published the web was then saved. I did not get the usual message that I needed to save before publishing.

Confusing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Strange. Saves fine here too.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Interesting thread, particularly because Rik is running DP16 and gets the same error message. As I mentioned I cannot save (when the issue comes up) but the web is saved when I publish. It has to be a common routine in the "save" code for DP and Web Designer. Or does it?

Running on Windows 8.1, desktop computer. I also use W-10 on a laptop, but not often. Haven't experienced this issue on that machine.

Unfortunately happening again with a completely different web. The same error message, but the file saves when I publish. Gives a warning message when trying to quit, even though file saved with "publish."

At least it's not fatal as there is a work-around.

That's the norm for me... ever since 16. I never even brought it up because I've never seen it discussed here... thinking it must be my system and not Xara.... Yet I wondered why it doesn't happen with ANY other app.

When first opening any file... it's fine. It will save normally for 1 to 3 saves. Then the error. And then over some use/time, it may allow a normal save here and there... but more often it won't.

So my normal way of saving a Xara file is to...

'Save As' - when the window opens - delete the file - (by deleting it, it puts the same name in the save field - because you clicked it obviously) and just hit return to save it again....

I've become so good at it, and fast, that my brain thinks that's the way you save a file in Xara.

Each time there's an update (which is few and far between) I can't wait to try it... not for any new/improved features it may contain... but for the hope that I can one day get back to a normal save of just Cntrl S.

But it just don't happen... oh well, we live in an imperfect world... it's always sumpin'... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    That's the norm for me... ever since 16. I never even brought it up because I've never seen it discussed here... thinking it must be my system and not Xara.... Yet I wondered why it doesn't happen with ANY other app.

When first opening any file... it's fine. It will save normally for 1 to 3 saves. Then the error. And then over some use/time, it may allow a normal save here and there... but more often it won't.

So my normal way of saving a Xara file is to...

'Save As' - when the window opens - delete the file - (by deleting it, it puts the same name in the save field - because you clicked it obviously) and just hit return to save it again....
    Your method doesn't work for me, I still get the error message. What does work is adding a "2" to the name, then the next time using the original name, etc. Shouldn't have to do it, but...

I don't particularly blame Xara as any Windows update could introduce an element that might upset the applecart. C'est la guerre.

FWIW, I just installed Windows updates and re-booted. For now, Xara saves normally. I'll report back if this changes.

Thanks, everyone for your input!