Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Progressive Jpeg

Does xara use progressive jpeg when uploading to web server?

Also how to improve page requests ( Combine files to minimize the number of HTTP requests your site makes.)

Page requests 47 < 30 Combine files to minimize the number of HTTP requests your site makes.
    Page requests 47 < 30 Combine files to minimize the number of HTTP requests your site makes.

Default Re: Progressive Jpeg

Number of page requests means number of files/resources loaded from the server or third party server for the web page. It can be reduced by removing any unneeded files, widgets etc. and by combining images into one image file wherever possible (not always possible or good idea but sometimes it is). Combining multiple css files into one single css file would also help but that's something that Xara's html exporter would have to do. I'm not sure if Xara exports the same css files across all pages or if it drops some css file references if the particular page doesn't need it. If it includes some or all across all pages it should really combine them and minify them wherever possible, if not then it might be better leaving them seperate. Also combining javascript into less files, again same considerations as css.

Bear in mind some of the speed gains reported by tools can be negligible and the inconveniences greater, although they can help with fine tuning things. I think optimisation tools also tend to be over zealous with some of their recommendations, gives them something to report on and keep users coming back.

Not sure on progressive JPEG but I don't think it uses it (could be wrong), it's not something I see often these days, seemed to be more a thing back in slow modem internet days or maybe I'm just not noticing it on sites because of faster internet speeds. Are they bigger file size anyway than normal jpeg?
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Here's what one commentator says..

"One obvious advantage of progressive JPEG encoding is that you get full-image previews while downloading the image on a slow connection. You can see what’s in the picture even when only a fraction of the file has been transferred, and decide whether you want to wait for it to fully load or not. On the other hand, some people consider progressive loading behavior to be something of a disadvantage, since it becomes hard to tell when an image has actually finished loading. You might even get a bad impression from a website because “the photos look blurry” (while in fact the site was still loading and you only saw a progressive preview of the photos). "

https://cloudinary.com/blog/progress...green_martians

You guys rock. Overall I personally think if Xara developers are looking to improve SEO in Xara, they should also check the output statistics as well.
    One of the better ones is https://www.webpagetest.org/

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    You guys rock. Overall I personally think if Xara developers are looking to improve SEO in Xara, they should also check the output statistics as well.
    One of the better ones is https://www.webpagetest.org/
    I think Xara should be improving features rather than wasting their time over SEO reports.

SEO is the snake-oil of the times and people look to SEO techniques to try and rescue bad websites, bad content and bad products and think that a website alone is all that's required to bring people to their website and sell their products.

I tell my clients to use their website like an electronic business card and do everything else that they would normally do to promote their business if a website did not exist. That would include promoting their business on OTHER websites and blogs, online advertising, social-media, etc.

People worry too much about SEO and just forget the basics.

If your product is rubbish or overpriced, don't expect people to flock to your website to place orders.
    If your website is full of SEO gobbledegook to satisfy a web crawler, don't expect people to want to come back.
    If you can't write engaging copy and have professional quality photographs, artwork and design, don't be surprised if people carry across website amateur-hour to the actual business or product and just walk.

The best 'SEO' is people recommendation.

SEO is the snake-oil of the times and people look to SEO techniques to try and rescue bad websites, bad content and bad products
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think Xara should be improving features rather than wasting their time over SEO reports.

SEO is the snake-oil of the times and people look to SEO techniques to try and rescue bad websites, bad content and bad products and think that a website alone is all that's required to bring people to their website and sell their products.

I tell my clients to use their website like an electronic business card and do everything else that they would normally do to promote their business if a website did not exist. That would include promoting their business on OTHER websites and blogs, online advertising, social-media, etc.

People worry too much about SEO and just forget the basics.

If your product is rubbish or overpriced, don't expect people to flock to your website to place orders.
    If your website is full of SEO gobbledegook to satisfy a web crawler, don't expect people to want to come back.
    If you can't write engaging copy and have professional quality photographs, artwork and design, don't be surprised if people carry across website amateur-hour to the actual business or product and just walk.

The best 'SEO' is people recommendation.
    +1 +1 +1 +1

Not even SEO-compliant but highly recommended.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Pauland I will vote for you +1111111111111111