Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Each page separately

Has anyone here constructed a website each page separately? Meaning each page saved individually and linked together via menus?
    If so, what were your challenges, what was the advantage etc... Building a large site is taking a lot of time saving and rendering, I am trying to speed this process by doing each page on its own.

Default Re: Each page separately

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Has anyone here constructed a website each page separately? Meaning each page saved individually and linked together via menus?
    If so, what were your challenges, what was the advantage etc... Building a large site is taking a lot of time saving and rendering, I am trying to speed this process by doing each page on its own.
    behzad, save each page with a different filename. Only one should be index. Links need to be page.htm. The rest is common sense.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn, good. So the .htm the program takes care of it then?

One disadvantage I can foresee straight away would be with the navigation bar. Xara creates multiple images of both mouse off & mouse over states. These are placed into the index_htm_files folder. If you create each page separately then each page (mini-site) would have it's own index_htm_files folder and whilst each navbar image is exactly the same the browser sees them as unique images and thus creates a largish load on the browser for each page rather than loading from cache. Similar for headers, logo's etc.

Not insurmountable, you could load a common navbar via a placeholder etc or create an 'images' folder which each page can load from and the cache.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Great point Egg.

More importantly, WHY would you want to do this?

It would be more time consuming and harder to update and work on a site using one doc per webpage and you'd lose convenient features like repeating objects. Imagine updating footer text across 50 docs instead of updating just one instance.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    One disadvantage I can foresee straight away would be with the navigation bar. Xara creates multiple images of both mouse off & mouse over states. These are placed into the index_htm_files folder. If you create each page separately then each page (mini-site) would have it's own index_htm_files folder and whilst each navbar image is exactly the same the browser sees them as unique images and thus creates a largish load on the browser for each page rather than loading from cache. Similar for headers, logo's etc.
    Not insurmountable, you could load a common navbar via a placeholder etc or create an 'images' folder which each page can load from and the cache.
    I eschew the Xara approach to NavBars.
    I use CSS and simple nested <UL> Lists, copied across all pages.
    The CSS stays in the index page as it is available to all other pages in the same folder.
    Changing the NavBar List is a bit of a chore but as you are not changing other assets, it is possible just to upload the changed page.htm; even Xara fast upload works this out.

If there are shared images, I give each a special Name of filename="[imageName]". Again, only one appears in the index_htm_folder and that can be used across all pages.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    More importantly, WHY would you want to do this?
    Upload speed on rework. Cleaner and simpler designs fall out.

If you want to get fancy, keep a master file of all pages and when really happy, clone off each separate page to a new file and publish all those.

There is no getting round Live Copies...
    ...after a time you build up a docket of workflows and workarounds. Variants are awkward.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, but https://auzlink.net.au is made up of 4 different sites that are linked.

Main site uploaded to public_html, art to public_html/art, photos to public_html/awesome and liqueurs to public_html/liqueur

I did it this way for very different reasons than you are looking at, but the theory is the same. I'm not working on, or loading, 1 site, but 4.

FileZilla screenshot to show folder structure:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auzlink.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	125097

Now that I got you all here, this is the reason why. Possibly it is the computer again that is not fast enough. I will post all the stats below.
    To load all my pages, which are huge, client wants long pages, if you read my other posts...

1.The whole site xara file takes 49 sec to load into xara.

2.The saving is as long too.

3.Rendering of the whole site takes 11 min

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_3.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	125098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	125099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	125100