Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My site takes a long time to load . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

The sticky version of the menu worked beautifully locally, and worked wonderfully when uploaded..

..when viewed on any browser besides Chrome.

Anyway I've left the dodgy one in place for the moment, and it reminds me of why I turned off the sticky version - it didn't work on Chrome when served from the web server.

Bizarre? certainly.
    Indeed very strange. It works better in IE and FF (with a little jump while scrolling).

Perhaps not enough of a big deal to spend time on it but you do have a contact form while the site is not secure, so.....

Thumbs up Re: My site takes a long time to load . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post

This is what the site is looking like so far. Everyone's suggestions have been extremely helpful!

Chris M, pauland, Gary, Egg, Acorn

Thanks!

https://pilgrimwayconstruction.com/sandbox/
    Braden... WOW! You're getting good...! You sure as heck didn't need me stickin' my nose in your design sense... Congratulations.

Yup... hanging around here when there's XARA troubles is a great place to solve many many problems and challenges....

All the above... (Chris M, pauland, Gary, Egg, Acorn) and a few more are, GREAT sources of help. They are what adds huge value to XARA...

Great work!

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Indeed very strange. It works better in IE and FF (with a little jump while scrolling).

Perhaps not enough of a big deal to spend time on it but you do have a contact form while the site is not secure, so.....
    Yeah, need to add in the redirect..

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    With large image collections, I prefer to host them myself and avoid the Xara offering.

Hope this helps.

Acorn
    Not sure what you meant by this, so I'm not sure how to implement it.

However, I was able to replace the PNGs' with the original JPEGs' which I compressed. This boosted the quality of the photos by quite a lot while reducing the file size by almost half.

I also found that when saving the slider, it generates a preview image(for design purposes I assume) which makes a pretty big image file at 4+MB. I deleted it.

Not sure how to make the buttons CSS. Maybe it's because the text was converted to editable shapes. I did this because I kept getting a warning about the font.

I wish I knew how to make all the objects text, even the logo.

Will having to download a font cause the website to take a long time to load?

I assume all I need to do is un-group the buttons, re-retype the text and group it back together.

The headings were successfully converted in this manner, they are now text with the shadow tool applied.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, eAcorn.

I'll be re-uploading the site momentarily.

No need to convert the text to shapes. The warning about a non standard font can be ignored if the file size of the font is small. The font gets uploaded with the site and is used by the visitors browser. Think of it as a picture, it gets uploaded and is viewed on the site, the font is uploaded and viewed on the site.

I use a different slider so I can't give any detailed instructions, but the methodology would be the same. The slider looks for the photos - the photos do not have to be on the Xara hosting.

I see. Not sure how to change where it looks for the pictures. I'm using the "Xara Slider" so I doubt it will give me that option.

Maybe I just need to change this bit of code?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandicam 2019-09-11 01-24-54-502.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	125132

Anyhow, it would seem the load speed has greatly improved.

But then come more problems: (Sorry about the low volume and bad video quality, still trying to find the right settings.)

What you are describing is standard practice of the mobile device. Nothing to do with Xara or the way you built the site. Have a look at any website and it will do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    What you are describing is standard practice of the mobile device. Nothing to do with Xara or the way you built the site. Have a look at any website and it will do the same thing.
    Absolutely.

Plus a negative vote from me for the background..

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Plus a negative vote from me for the background..
    Do you think a semi transparent white overlay would tone down background?

I'm pretty useless at visualising, but I'd be trying both white and charcoal to see which looked right.

My problem with the background is that coarse planks of wood don't make me think of quality workmanship and the lines of the planks static with a moving foreground just don't work together. In my opinion that looks like a mistake.

I'd avoid a patterned background altogether.