Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My site takes a long time to load . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I've heard a review that was pretty eye-opening.

I have a lot of work to do, and almost feel the need to start from scratch.

Discouraging.
    Hi Braden,

No need to be discouraged... it's just a 'trial & error' game until your errors get less & your 'trials' become easier and better...

Basically what you've got so far is... ready? LOL Let's just say it's needs some help...
    It doesn't convey CONSTRUCTION COMPANY! You know... something 'STRONG' 'SOLID' 'DEPENDABLE' etc...

For example... that font you chose for the home page heading... Your a CONSTRUCTION COMPANY... it's to frilly, designee... doesn't convey
    to me a feeling of confidence.... Anyway, why go on...

If you'd like... I have some time on my hands tonight... would you like to see some Ideas for 'at least' your home page?
    I could do some quick mock-ups and put them up on Xara space... then if you like any/part of it/them I'll just send you the file?

Let me know....

Cliff

oh... and if no... not a problem.... if yes... and you don't like something... just tell me... I have the thickest web design skin on the planet... I get beat up all the time.... I think I'm beginning to like it... LOL

I think Braden has made good progress with a redesign here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...window-somehow

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think Braden has made good progress with a redesign here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...window-somehow

I agree pauland...

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    Hi Braden,

No need to be discouraged... it's just a 'trial & error' game until your errors get less & your 'trials' become easier and better...

Basically what you've got so far is... ready? LOL Let's just say it's needs some help...
    It doesn't convey CONSTRUCTION COMPANY! You know... something 'STRONG' 'SOLID' 'DEPENDABLE' etc...

For example... that font you chose for the home page heading... Your a CONSTRUCTION COMPANY... it's to frilly, designee... doesn't convey
    to me a feeling of confidence.... Anyway, why go on...

If you'd like... I have some time on my hands tonight... would you like to see some Ideas for 'at least' your home page?
    I could do some quick mock-ups and put them up on Xara space... then if you like any/part of it/them I'll just send you the file?

Let me know....

Cliff

oh... and if no... not a problem.... if yes... and you don't like something... just tell me... I have the thickest web design skin on the planet... I get beat up all the time.... I think I'm beginning to like it... LOL
    Ha, I just posted virtually the same thing on Braden's other thread. Not sure if it's 'Great Minds Thin Alike' or 'Fools Seldom Differ'.

Hi Braden,

I took an hour and ½ and did a quick makeover of your home page... It's just to suggest a little cleaner look...
    Made things a little spacier... nothing fancy... just a bit more professional looking... maybe just a bit more comfortable to read....
    Added some 'filler' graphics... just for 'the look'.

Sometimes when you 'outline' text (if it's not done right) can look a little cheesy...a little 'old' style... today the look is that flat text look...
    I kept the orange color... I assume you like it. So do I...

I also just grab some screen shots from your slider and threw them in a quick slider for the demo... did not try to clean up the pics...

Maybe it will give you some ideas for your site... it's just a mockup for aesthetic purposes...

http://mockupsites.xara.hosting/BRADEN/

Hope it helps a little...

Cliff

Thanks a lot Cliff! I have quite enjoyed seeing your work in the past and this is no exception. Pretty intense that you put this together in an hour or so! I've been doing mine for four days haha.

You were able to condense the page down in a whimsicle, professional-looking way without losing any of the content, but in fact, you even added some.

Very well done indeed.

This is what the site is looking like so far. Everyone's suggestions have been extremely helpful!

Chris M, pauland, Gary, Egg, Acorn

Thanks!

https://pilgrimwayconstruction.com/sandbox/

So much better than where you started from. Bravo!

I like to see menus sticky at the top - just so visitors don't have to scroll back to find menu choices.

I think faux picture frames are best suited to 1995!

Scrolling over static planks makes me feel a bit unnerved and doesn't make me think of a modern professional company.

Really impressed by how you've improved from your beginning.

Well done.

I agree with pauland, starting to look really good, Braden!

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

I like to see menus sticky at the top - just so visitors don't have to scroll back to find menu choices.
    Pauland, perhaps a good idea to revisit your own website?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Pauland, perhaps a good idea to revisit your own website?
    LOL.

I was surprised to find that you're right and I wondered why the menu wasn't sticky and after a while and a few experiments I remembered why.

The sticky version of the menu worked beautifully locally, and worked wonderfully when uploaded..

..when viewed on any browser besides Chrome.

Anyway I've left the dodgy one in place for the moment, and it reminds me of why I turned off the sticky version - it didn't work on Chrome when served from the web server.

Bizarre? certainly.

I have too much else going on to track down the issue.