Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My site takes a long time to load . . .

Hey there!

So, I have created a website for our construction business.

I just recently got the home page done, uploaded it, cleared my cache and found that it takes a long time to load.

For me, it was upwards of 15 seconds.

What can I do to fix this without removing the widget or the pictures?

https://pilgrimwayconstruction.com/sandbox/

Default Re: My site takes a long time to load . . .

Hi Brandon, it's always worth looking at your page speed load via Pingdom. I don't pretend to understand 10% of it's report but it often points to slow loading data:

https://tools.pingdom.com/#5b439a4f26000000
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Have a look at the spelling of Contact on the Nav Bar. It loads OK for me but everything seems too big. And the dark background does not feel inviting.

I wonder if the download speed has to do more with your web host? Others can comment on this.

Haha. Good catch Gary.

Yea I think youre right about it being too big. I like the spacing though, so I'll just scale it down.

I use the same hoster on a different website, and as far as I know, it loads super fast, but it only has one picture, or just a couple.

Could be that the host is having issues, but my the home page comes out at around 5MB in size.

Seems fairly large.

It loaded fine for me too although I did stare at it for a while waiting for something to fill the space.

I understand that you haven't started giving it a coat of paint or polishing the door knobs yet, but I agree with Gary, the overall page is too dark. The photos are the main focus and they become somewhat lost because of the fades. I would also tweak the photos themselves to be more vibrant (add a simple line frame?).

Playing around with colours is easy and personal, just make sure the content is front and centre. Backgrounds are meant help the foreground shine and be largely inconspicuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Could be that the host is having issues, but my the home page comes out at around 5MB in size.

Seems fairly large.
    That will probably be the photos. Resize them to be only a little bigger than the intended viewing size.

Thanks everyone.

I've heard a review that was pretty eye-opening.

I have a lot of work to do, and almost feel the need to start from scratch.

Discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    I have a lot of work to do, and almost feel the need to start from scratch.

Discouraging.
    There isn't anyone here who hasn't started from scratch; I virtually plan it into my schedule! You'll also find you'll re-create a lot faster and easier because you have more clarity in where you are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    There isn't anyone here who hasn't started from scratch; I virtually plan it into my schedule! You'll also find you'll re-create a lot faster and easier because you have more clarity in where you are headed.
    Absolutely. Nobody starts out without a few mistakes.

Braden, your Main Home page resizing has reduced the load time down to 6.5 to 9 seconds here. A reload is around 0.5 to 3 seconds. The slider is taking up around four seconds.

Sadly, most of your other PNGs each take a quarter of a second as well and all together these times add up.
    The NavBar buttons could be made into text and CSS, achieving the same effect.
    The headings with a line width are all converted to graphics so remove this and use possibly CSS to add the edging.

With large image collections, I prefer to host them myself and avoid the Xara offering.

Hope this helps.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat