Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overlays

Default Overlays

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I've just downloaded a 1000 overlay effects from Shareware-On-Sale ... https://sharewareonsale.com/s/free-1...e-100-discount ... which look absolutely fantastic, and are FREE for another 33 Hours. However, and it comes with use instructions for Photoshop. (I'd post an image, but not sure of the legality of doing that!)

Step One: Paste the Overlay
    To begin testing, paste a some overlay into Photoshop as a new layer. Resize the overlay until it completely covers the image underneath. Try out different colors, shapes, and compositions until you think you’ve found the right match.

Step Two: Select the Blending Mode
    With the layer mask selected, click on the blending mode button and select “Screen.”

Step Three: Edit the Layer
    Sometimes an overlay will obscure parts of your image, so a little editing might be necessary.

Step Four: The Finished Product
    Your image is complete!

Does anyone have any idea how to best make these work in Xara? Step 2 seems very specific to Photoshop. I've tried various transparency modes, but nothing seems to work properly - Does Xara even have an equivalent - I'm pretty sure I can handle everything else.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: Overlays

xara has a screen transparency [previously called bleach] - have you tried this ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Generally Blending Mode means transparency type.

Try importing and resizing one of these in Xara. Place it over a photo, then try out different transparency types. I think that might work.

In Photoshop, things like this have to be done on separate layers whereas in Xara you can just place something on top of something else.

i downloaded them

bear in mind in screen mode anything black will become alpha, anything white will be opaque, and colours will be inbetween, the greater their HSV 'V' value the more visible they will be

reading the instructions I think you are expected to recolour as necessary [eg for vignettes]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Not sure why I couldn't get it to work before, but the SCREEN (bleach) transparency in Xara ... Exactly as the Photoshop instructions ... works perfectly. Maybe I didn't have it at 0% before, as that seems to be a little counter intuitive. I would have thought 0% was transparency off.

Apparently everything is free for commercial use, so I should be safe!

Flame Overlay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overlay Test.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	125018

I should look more deeply into FLAME PAINTER, and maybe make some of these overlays myself. I've always tried to use Flame Painter directly onto an image - maybe overlays would work much better.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You can also use the Photo Tool > Select Colors to Enhance to drop out the background and leave the colors less transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You can also use the Photo Tool > Select Colors to Enhance to drop out the background and leave the colors less transparent.
    Select black background and do what with it? It flashes checkerboard for a nanosecond then looks exactly the same.

My photo fiddling friend has trotted off to Darwin and left her Designer Pro with me so I can play with extra buttons for a week.

Go to the dot you dropped where it flashed checkerboard and right click it, and you should have the option to make transparent.

I actually tried that, but it wasn't too successful on some of the ring overlays. Download the overlays and give it a try.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm
    Maybe I didn't have it at 0% before, as that seems to be a little counter intuitive. I would have thought 0% was transparency off
    in xara 0% transparency means no transparency is applied

this is the 'opposite' of programs such as photoshop which use opacity - 0% opacity again means there is no opacity applied, but that is of course 100% transparency, so they are the other way round, from that point of view....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

I've just downloaded a 1000 overlay effects from Shareware-On-Sale ... https://sharewareonsale.com/s/free-1...e-100-discount ... which look absolutely fantastic, and are FREE for another 33 Hours. However, and it comes with use instructions for Photoshop. (I'd post an image, but not sure of the legality of doing that!)

Step One: Paste the Overlay
    To begin testing, paste a some overlay into Photoshop as a new layer. Resize the overlay until it completely covers the image underneath. Try out different colors, shapes, and compositions until you think you’ve found the right match.

Step Two: Select the Blending Mode
    With the layer mask selected, click on the blending mode button and select “Screen.”

Step Three: Edit the Layer
    Sometimes an overlay will obscure parts of your image, so a little editing might be necessary.

Step Four: The Finished Product
    Your image is complete!

Does anyone have any idea how to best make these work in Xara? Step 2 seems very specific to Photoshop. I've tried various transparency modes, but nothing seems to work properly - Does Xara even have an equivalent - I'm pretty sure I can handle everything else.
    Thanks Keith, I downloaded them and will give them a try when I get time.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.