Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default bug: image PNG export settings ignored for websites (in certain cases with shadows)

---------------------------------
    Edit: After I saved this example file and closed Xara, I opened it again to do some more testing. Suddenly it did work.
    So it's only a bug while you are working on a project, just saving doesn't help either, you really need to close the project before the PNG export settings work.

So If you are going to try this just recreate the images with the text I've added below.
    And they have a basic animation of "slide in from the bottom"
    ---------------------------------

This was a tricky bug to narrow down!

See the attached example, I'm not sure how to write it all down here.
    It's a website where the images scroll from the bottom to the top, that's how I test to see if the images are exported as JPG's or PNG's. They all have the PNG option selected.

I've added notes below each image.
    The order of operation is important! So if I say "Image with a shadow and a border", then I added a shadow first, then added a border.

Also, if you remove the shadow from the top 4 images, and preview the website, you'll notice that the images no longer animate. I suspect this has something to do with objects turning into "Shadow Groups" in the Page & Layer gallery when you add a shadow. Strangely that doesn't seem to bother images where you add a border first. That might help whoever has to deal with this bug.

This only seems to happen if you have objects with BITMAP fills, all the other fill/gradients options are fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bug - images with shadows exported as png.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	124976  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Know1; 29 August 2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: attached the wrong image.

Default Re: bug: image PNG export settings ignored for websites (in certain cases with shadow

Whenever I encountered this bug, I would just group the object and make the group a PNG and be done with it. This time I actually looked into why it was happening.
    That's why I never figured out that the problem can be fixed by closing the project and opening it again.

Question Re: bug: image PNG export settings ignored for websites (in certain cases with shadow

Know1, thank you for your patiece in explaining about this Bug.

I have tried and failed to reproduce it though.

Have I go the sequencing right.
    Image > PNG > Shadow > Border > Scroll in from Top.

I cloned and rotated the Shape and it remained PNG.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: bug: image PNG export settings ignored for websites (in certain cases with shadow

Interesting, so there is yet another order of operation involved.

If you add a shadow AFTER you've selected the PNG option, then it works.

So try this: Image > add shadow > rotate image > select the PNG option. That should show it as a jpg.

Bug Re: bug: image PNG export settings ignored for websites (in certain cases with shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    Interesting, so there is yet another order of operation involved.

If you add a shadow AFTER you've selected the PNG option, then it works.

So try this: Image > add shadow > rotate image > select the PNG option. That should show it as a jpg.
    Know1, got it; sticks as a JPEG.

I just Preview and click-drag to see if it is PNG or JPEG.

There is something going very wrong when you create the Shadow as the Shape alone is selected. I clicked in and out and got everything but the Bug persists.

Cheers,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I've made a short video to show what happens. I've made the background rotate when I click on it. That way I don't have to animate the images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44BzEJZWBaE&feature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    I've made a short video to show what happens. I've made the background rotate when I click on it. That way I don't have to animate the images.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44BzEJZWBaE&feature=youtu.be
    Beautifully demonstrated Know1,
    Acorn

Thank you for your report, logged as DDES-16213