Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Trying to get Xara Designer 10 Premium on my new mac

I know. I'm addicted to both Xara and macs (bad combination) but I was able to use xara 10 premium for years on my old mac by using Parallels and windows 7. My biggest concern with getting a new computer was being able to run Parallels, windows and xara on it. (sometimes it just doesn't work and nobody knows why). Anyway, I got a new imac pro and I've installed parallels and windows 7 on it. I went to download xara and when I went to the download page, the page didn't show the different versions of web designer at the bottom. I could only see the options of web designer and web designer premium. So, I clicked web designer premium. It took a few hours to download and when I clicked on the file to install it, it prepared files and then did nothing. I may have clicked the wrong button and maybe that version of web designer can't run with windows 7? In any case, will xara lock any and all versions of xara after 30 days until I pay? I thought I could use my same xara as I had before and just put it on my computer, but I didn't know how to sign into my account and download previous purchases on a different computer. It's confusing now that "Magix" is somehow in the picture. What can you tell me?

Default Re: Trying to get Xara Designer 10 Premium on my new mac

Some will call me a traitor, but if I were using a Mac, and Xara is the main reason I don't, I would use Affinity. It is written for both platforms which makes a huge different in performance.

Xara toyed with the idea of a Mac version then decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Some will call me a traitor, but if I were using a Mac, and Xara is the main reason I don't, I would use Affinity. It is written for both platforms which makes a huge different in performance.

Xara toyed with the idea of a Mac version then decided against it.
    Good idea. Thank you. Can Affinity open xara documents?

Not natively. You would probably have to use PDF or EPS and an intermediary file format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Affinity Import.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	124965  

no it cannot

xara will lock only those versions you have installed

according to magix site windows 7 is supported [which is not a guarantee that it will install under parallels ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

...... dual post

this website is sc****d today
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    no it cannot

xara will lock only those versions you have installed

according to magix site windows 7 is supported [which is not a guarantee that it will install under parallels ]
    Oh. OK, thank you. Will it likely work better with windows8?

one problem may be activation - I don't use webdesigner, but I'm pretty sure version 10 predates the current activation system [certainly for designer pro], so you will be limited in the number of installations you can make before having to contact the company to get it reset [and I have no idea of magix' current policy in this regard]; however if that were the case I would expect a message from the program to that effect - if the program is just hanging during install I would be checking the setup of the VM/Windows, but I have never used VM on a mac so have no experience of parallels itself to share

and so I can't say if win 8 would be any better either [apart from, if you do, use win 8.1 not win 8 and microsoft supportwise win 7 is officially dead], sorry
    Nothing lasts forever...