Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Confused and freaked out by Xara 16 - please help!

if I open xpe from outside of xara there is no tick, that is understanndable as there is no host program active then to commit to

maybe somehow the two programs are not in sync

I know you are reluctant to reinstall, but I think you might have to, and now siran has suggested it too

uninstall it first before reinstalling
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It is true that I was reluctant. But I did it. Starting from attempting to uninstall the 1st installation, over 2 hours passed. Here are some of the highlights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ndinstall.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	124970

Now bearing in mind that ...

I'm a long term Xara user
    with a brand new state of the art PC, bright and clean
    and purchased the latest version directly from Magix
    AND knowing about this forum
    AND getting fast and knowlegdable support from you good people (and moral support, thank you!)

... this was really not a good experience.

I used to recommend Xara to my art students, who would not have the above list of advantages, but how can I, after this?

Really still sad. Well guess I'm tired.

Thanks again for your help and moral support, guys. May the cyberangels smile upon all you do!

it's working now ok ?

I am having difficulty accessing your attachment images [the forum website is still not right] but from what I can see of the thumbnails maybe, and no more than that, there was a configuration error with xpe possibly an update issue

always glad to help
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, it seems to be working now. Apart from that devilish check on the "smart transform" or whatever that is, which has now decided to ignore my attempts (in Admin mode and out of it!) to make it stop.

Shakes head and laughs ... I can learn to live with that. Again, thank you sincerely for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray69 View Post
    Yes, it seems to be working now. Apart from that devilish check on the "smart transform" or whatever that is, which has now decided to ignore my attempts (in Admin mode and out of it!) to make it stop.
    Shakes head and laughs ... I can learn to live with that. Again, thank you sincerely for your help!
    Ray, don't laugh, complain. It is a mess of Xara's own making and the sorry story is in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ing-megathread.

If Xara hide a function and have it so designers are blocked in their work, complain.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

one thing that may make the squish work better, once you have unticked 'smart transform', is to make sure in the selector tool that 'show selection bounds handles' button is pressed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-08-31 19_25_34-Xara Designer Pro X - [Untitled1].png 
Views:	61 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	125004

and do the squishing using the selector tool [not the photo tool]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray69 View Post
    I used to recommend Xara to my art students
    I don't think you are doing them any favours by doing so. The world that made us love Xara software has changed significantly and students need to look at affordable, capable software to learn that will give then a skillset valuable to employers. I don't mean Adobe, either.

Could you enlighten us about the program that you have an affinity with?
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Could you enlighten us about the program that you have an affinity with?
    LOL

I still remember buying Xara Studio 1.0 at a design exhibition in Islington, London. I was stunned by how amazing it was. It was a Magic experience, not a Magix one.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    LOL

I still remember buying Xara Studio 1.0 at a design exhibition in Islington, London. I was stunned by how amazing it was. It was a Magic experience, not a Magix one.
    I don't want to rush against Xara, but until Xara goes into a reprogramming of his XDP software, we will only see javascript scraps and other unimportant stuff. Too much money to renew. Affinity shows you how.
    I've often written that I'm leaving Xara. There are some things that have not been implemented in other programs and I have remained true to Xara.
    But one day it'll be enough. I'm gonna wait for XDP 17. Amd then …