Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Shinny metallic texture

Hello everyone,
    I'd like to find/create a metallic texture like the one on the globe in the image so I
    can use it on 2d/3d shapes. Anyone have such a texture or give some advice on
    how to create such a texture. I have looked around but I've not come across anything
    like this texture. I'm inclined to think it can be created but that's a little beyond me an Xara
    I have Designer Pro v16.2.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLOBE1.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	124919  

Default Re: Shinny metallic texture

The graphic you have uploaded looks like a very poor representation of what is supposed to be a mirror-ball - lots of little rectangles of mirrored glass, each with differing reflection. These were popular at mid-century dance-halls. To recreate it, you would have to make many different linear gradient fills to achieve the random effect plus a few other lighting effects, such as sunbursts.
    Edit: Also the mould tool would be required to make a convincing spheroid.
    Attached is an example of what I mean.

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	124922  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 25 August 2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

While it still wouldn't be easy, if I really needed a mirror ball, I'd create it in 3D. I'd start with a 3D sphere, create squares and place them in a band across the center around the wall, and duplicate them and rotate until the sphere is completed covered by them. Then I'd need to create the room around the sphere - to create what the mirror ball will reflect (floor, walls, objects - everything). Then I'd apply a highly reflective texture to the mirror wall. Then create lighting to light the ball and room. Once complete, I would trace the ball and separate from the room - then it would be ready to use in whatever graphic you needed it in. I'd probably have to put in 4 - 6 hours to accomplish all that.

Easiest way to draw it would be to use 3D software for creating the ball and then trace it.

1. Create SDS ball and clone it.
    2. Select original and separate all the faces on the object.
    3. Select faces and then scale so, that there is visible gap between all the faces and give some thickness with extrude.
    4. Render with toon setting and trace the resulting image.
    5. Load it in vector drawing software like Xara, etc. and use fills for shading.

Mirror mirror on the wall how to create you best of all?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do.

Cool settings tutorial, thanks.

I found that the Mould Tool Spherical envelope never quite does the job. Here is a ancient Workbook tutorial for how to create a vector spherical effect. http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...kbook%205.html

Name:	189.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	125130  

Distorted image is hard to get quite right and the perspective will always look little distorted.

This was made with 3D software in couple minutes for a comparison purposes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DiscoBall.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	125133
    Reflections are from HDRI image mapped inside sphere, that was made camera invisible.