Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug 300 dpi import on pic / BUG

I have (see attached) imported a large 8M picture into xara. Before doing so I went into options and set it up at Resize large imported .......300 dpi. But the import is always higher than 300 dpi. (smaller image)
    The 96dpi is ok but this problem exists only with 300 dpi setting.

Anyone can let me know what is happening and if this is a bug to be moved to the bug section..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	124914

Default Re: 300 dpi import on pic / BUG

Hmm? Well your settings will reduce the size of any image to 300 pixels if the images is wider than 300 pixels. So at this size the resolution will adjust to the whatever it is at 300px.

If you opt for the third option, the image will import at the actual pixel size but at 96dpi which is 1:1.

If you resize the image to 32% it will be 300dpi.

I always find this terribly confusing.

So it is not a bug, but more of a quirk.

as gary says - that first option is to force the image to a set number of pixels wide, it is not a dpi setting, - the dpi will adjust as normal - if this setting reduces the original pixel size, the dpi will go up

the second option for 96 is a dpi setting, hence there being a difference in what happens
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks. For print I want always my images to import at 300 dpi. What would be the solution without dragging on the image on its corner at starring at the dpi on the bottom left of the screen. Sorry for being anal.

Change the resize up dimension to something much larger. Apply. And see if this works.

Had to set it to 1000 pdi to get 300. This is cumbersome.

export at 300dpi and then drag-in/re-import making sure you have the third option selected: import at dpi specified in file

or run it through a program that lets you define it easily like photoshop
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

once resized and it is the size on-screen, and if the effective dpi/ppi (which is what the status bar is letting you know, it's not changing pixels) is acceptable for print, who cares? All that matters is the effective resolution.

else do what handrawn writes re. both the setting and change the dpi without resampling in a bitmap editor thus capable. The dpi field is informational only, it doesn't affect the number of actual pixels. All it does is aid in placing at a math ratio. Xara applications do this correctly when the dpi information is actually in the image's header.

Even when I recieve images from professional photographers, rarely is the information present or at 300 dpi (when present is often at 180 dpi). But this doesn't really matter.

ok folks, thank you all.