Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: How do I...

Default How do I...

Hi all
    Sorry if I seem to be monopolising this forum at the moment - and thanks to evryone who has helped so far - it is very much appreciated, I am on a very steep learning curve...

I have started to build an affiliate site: http://www.own-boat-tuition.co.uk/yacht%20designers.htm.

The problem is that it is very labour intensive.

I have tried grouping and soft-grouping the text, image etc but it is very slow. I have had issues scaling the image too.

I really want to use 'push' so I can edit a listing and not have to go back over the page (X 3 versions) and move things around.

I think you can see what I am trying to achieve from the page I have listed - it will only work on a PC size screen.

Can you tell me how you, as experienced website creators would achieve what I have done while maintaining the ability to quickly edit?

I would be very grateful for some input here, this is going to be a big project and I can't let it become unmanageable.

Kind regards

Paul

Default Re: How do I...

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. Text in variants is linked, so when you change the text in one, it should change on the others. I have always had problems with this and don't use it but others have figured out how to get around things like position and type size issues. Have a look at Variants in Help.

Default Re: How do I...

Paul,

I took a brief look at your books page from your link: http://www.own-boat-tuition.co.uk/yacht%20designers.htm.

You have three variants; 5 books appear on the desktop variant, 3 books on the tablet variant and 1 book (text only) on the mobile variant.

I have found (in most cases) two variants 480px and 1080px (with export option 'scale-to-fit-width') works well. Secondly, I do not use 'share with variants' but that is a personal preference. I use 'Apply Soft Group' to keep groups of related items together in one variant, then copy and paste each soft group to the other variant. Then, I remove the soft group to reformat the layout; apply soft group thereafter.

I prefer to format mobile variants as a mobile app; in your case this is relatively easy (on the books page at least). Format the text box to 440px, the book image to circa 400px

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desktop Layout.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	124888

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mobile Layout.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	124889

Hopefully this helps; I have attached a XAR doc that you could experiment with.

I noticed also that your mobile menu needs to be adjusted to fit the screen. If you are using the standard 'Create NavBar' option, the submenu can be set to down with a horizontal offset.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mobile Menu.PNG 
Views:	46 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	124887  
    Attached Files Attached Files