@ Chris,

Why have the Mouse Over layer as there is no hover state with mobiles? Genuine question
For some sites, I have a mobile menu visible all the time on the MouseOff layer; the button that refers to the page you are on takes the MouseOver state. In this instance, it works on Android and ios. Were the menu to be on a popup layer, Android ignores the hover, but ios can highlight the mouseover (first click) and requires a second click to access the page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190823-104351.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	124903

My suggestion therefore to Braden should not have suggested buttons with a MouseOver state. Apologies too, as the answer did not address the specific question, but provided alternative ways to create a mobile menu (of which there are many).

@Chris & Cliff,

Liked the work-around for animation on the popup layer, understood how you did it, but when I tried to create links for any of the buttons, they worked as expected on the MouseOff layer, but did not work when I transferred them (copy and paste) back to the popup layer. What step in the process have a missed. Thanks.

Gary