Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Controlling what Googles Images displays re: images on your website

Hi folks, I've built my portfolio website but would like to control exactly what is displayed in Google Images when someone searches Google under my name or actual website address. When I do a search on myself in Google and go to images, All images come up- all the clip art I used to create graphics, all .jpegs used for banners and footer backgrounds, etc. generally all graphics. How do I handle images and clip-art in Xara when building pages so that I can control what is displayed in a Google search under its Images tab. Some images are fine but I don't want everything to be displayed there.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Patricia Gallinger-Giao
    https://patriciagallinger-giao.ca/
    Last edited by Trish257; 21 August 2019 at 03:19 PM.

Info Re: Controlling what Googles Images displays re: images on your website

Patricia, probably the best way is to promote the images you want listing ahead of the ones Google is forced to pick otherwise.
    • Use the Names function and the construct, filename="your_meaningful_name" to give the image an relevant and unique identity.
    • Include an Pop-up Title tag for the same image.
    • Include an Image Caption (alt text)for the same image.
    • Ensure the image metadata aligns with the page content.

You cannot do this for every image and Xara has a habit of using images for NavBars, so avoid Xara NavBars.
    Never group text with anything; use Soft-Groups.
    Look for CSS solutions, where possible, that do not rely on images.
    Avoid Xara's built-in Pop-up photo option as you have not control over the pop-ups' metadata.

Play with https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...4dUDCAU&uact=5 to see how random an image search can be without good management.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Controlling what Googles Images displays re: images on your website

Okay, I've finally gotten around to addressing this issue. Thanks so much for the advice. I have not yet published the update but will do so soon. Hopefully using the names feature and image tab under web properties, will improve how and what Google structures "Images" re: the search feature. I also have to get a much better handle on soft groups so I'll check out the xara manual.

Patricia Gallinger-Giao

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Patricia, probably the best way is to promote the images you want listing ahead of the ones Google is forced to pick otherwise.
    • Use the Names function and the construct, filename="your_meaningful_name" to give the image an relevant and unique identity.
    • Include an Pop-up Title tag for the same image.
    • Include an Image Caption (alt text)for the same image.
    • Ensure the image metadata aligns with the page content.

You cannot do this for every image and Xara has a habit of using images for NavBars, so avoid Xara NavBars.
    Never group text with anything; use Soft-Groups.
    Look for CSS solutions, where possible, that do not rely on images.
    Avoid Xara's built-in Pop-up photo option as you have not control over the pop-ups' metadata.

Play with https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...4dUDCAU&uact=5 to see how random an image search can be without good management.

Acorn

Default Re: Controlling what Googles Images displays re: images on your website

Patricia, perseverance is key.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat