Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: What to charge?

Question What to charge?

Hi everyone,
    Don't know if this is the place to post this question but I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer despite joining a couple of web design forums only to find out that they're not actual forums. Nothing really jumped out at me when I was scanning through the sections here.

I've been asked to redesign the website for my primary client. The site contains about 40 pages. There is not much dynamic content. In fact, it's pretty static but there is a fair amount of information on the site.

From the information I've been able to scratch out via Google, it looks like the per page average is ~$25 plus any custom graphics, etc. Is that about accurate?

Thanks a million!

Default Re: What to charge?

Figure out what your time is worth per hour and then how many hours you will spend. $1,000 for a redesigning a 40 page site seems low. But then it also depends on the size of the client and what he/she can afford.

I don't think $2,000 would be too much to charge to redesign a large site such as that.

BTW I have Stage 3 Renal Failure as well. But mine has been stable since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Figure out what your time is worth per hour and then how many hours you will spend. $1,000 for a redesigning a 40 page site seems low. But then it also depends on the size of the client and what he/she can afford.

I don't think $2,000 would be too much to charge to redesign a large site such as that.

BTW I have Stage 3 Renal Failure as well. But mine has been stable since 2004.
    Thanks Gary! Sorry to hear that you have kidney issues too although I'm so glad yours is stable. Because I am also a brittle diabetic my function bounces around between 20-35%. Knock on wood but it's been consistently in the low 30s for the last 6-8 months. Best of luck to you!

Thanks also for the information on rates. My client is relatively small but because I am conscientious about my rates I usually don't get any pushback when I submit my quotes to the board.

I had done a rough draft of my proposal for this job and I was in the $1500 range when all was said and done. Now that I have a better idea of the "going rate", as it were, I can make some adjustments before I submit it.

Thanks again!

I am not sure if this is the going rate. It has been some time since I had a paying gig. When my wife and I had our graphic design company in San Francisco, we charged $250 an hour but our clients were large corporations. These days if I charge by the hour my rates are more modest. So $1,500-2,000 sounds right to me.

Another thing to keep in mind is how many times the customer can make changes before the final approval. If your customer is going to let you go through the site and make the changes once then your pricing maybe correct but if they are going to want to keep adjusting the design then your pricing is going to be way low. You should have some type of agreement on a rate for man hours for design changes.

Ray

If the site is "pretty static" then the design for the site should have been your main focus. Thereafter, you are just a copy editor adding the Customer's content.
    Deliver the design and the first five pages for sign off. Say that includes rework and re-testing. If you think your sweat is worth $25/h then charge $37.50/h for this intense period. I am sure you could manage all this in as a billable 40 hours, but expect to put far more into it. $1,500.
    The remaining 35 pages should be a breeze at an hour a page at $25 each. $875.
    If that content is frequently added to or changed, you need to set a fee for your hourly rate of $25 with a minimum 10 hours billable per year. $250.
    Note your first year would be £2,375 and support and maintenance is almost 10% at $250+/y.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat