Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default How do I change the paper size?

Simple question (I hope) from a simple user.

I want to print onto a piece of 11" x 17" paper. Xara and my printer both call this US Tabloid size. So far so good.

I have set the page size on Xara to 11" x 17". The printer says it's 11" x 17" The image is 11" x 17". When I print the image comes out 7" x 10.5"

When I go to the Print dialogue box and look under Options, it gives the paper size as 8.5 " x 11" There appears to be no way of changing this.

Any suggestions?

BJB

Default Re: How do I change the paper size?

Welcome to Talk Graphics BJB,
    Bit confused but first things first, can your printer handle a US Tabloid Sheet? For example mine can only print on an A4 sheet size and I suspect many American printers are set to handle only US Letter sheet sized paper.

7" x 11" is roughly a US Letter size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	124844  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 19 August 2019 at 04:46 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

first a general point: your printer may not print without margins - if so then your image could be too big to print if it the same size as the paper, you may have to reduce it to allow for this - in the program menu Window you can tick 'Show Print Borders' which will show the maximum area you can print to with the currently connected printer

second: it is important to remember that within the program [as with many graphics programs] the page size and the print size are different settings and they both need to be correct - in the print dialog box click the option button, and on the layout tab check the settings - it may be that these are forcing a smaller print and need changing

probably worth checking if your printer has different 'paper' and 'print' size settings as well and both are correct

ok I miisread - you are there already -when you say ' it gives the paper size as 8.5 " x 11" There appears to be no way of changing this.' - does that mean [on the layout tab] you cannot enter values in the custom fit box? - what happens if you tick automatic fit and tick best fit?

if you can't get the size you want, recheck the printer and make sure you have set it's print size correctly [and not just its paper handling setting] - you may need to save and restart xara afterwards
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Another thing to try is export as PDF and see what size the PDF is. If the file is correct, try printing the PDF with Acrobat or Foxit reader and seeing if it prints correct.

Ray

Honestly, I generally export all my files to PDF format, then set it to tabloid (11 x 17) inside Acrobat, when I print anything. I print straight out of Xara for letter size (8.5 x 11) with images set at 8 x 10.5 to my color laser printer all the time - prints fine.

One thing you have to think about is you're stating your image is 11 x 17. Most 11 x 17 printers require a "deletion area", ink or toner cannot print all the way to the edge, because printer wheels pulling the paper through the printer has to touch the paper where there is no ink - the deletion area. It varies from printer to printer, but if you shoot for a 1/4 inch all the around the edge, that will accommodate most printers (so the image becomes 10.75 x 16.75 inches). Technically, if you want to print a full bleed 11 x 17 (edge to edge printing), then you have to print on bigger paper, then cut away the excess down to 11 x17, because of the issue of the deletion area. This requires something like an wide format inkjet printer/plotter. Understand?

most of which other than some background info has already been said, Right?

BTW it could be a lazer printer, not uncommon, and they don't work that way

Last edited by handrawn; 21 August 2019 at 08:28 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Welcome to TG BJ Becker, like handrawn I hope you get this issue sorted.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.