Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Gear-Config Icon Challenge

Select the eight shapes and Ctrl+1 (Add Shapes):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	124833  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Select the outer circle (NOT the centring circle) Bring to front (Ctrl+F) then shift select the newly created shape. Ctrl+3 (Intersect Shapes):

Views:	130 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	124834  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Select the next outer circle (NOT the centring circle) Bring to front (Ctrl+F) then shift select the newly created shape. Ctrl+1 (Add Shapes):

Views:	113 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	124835  
    Egg

Finally select the next inner circle. Bring to front (Ctrl+F) then shift select the newly created shape. Ctrl+2 (Subtract Shapes):

Views:	111 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	124836  
    Egg

However as I said earlier all these Combine / Arrange shapes can lead to unwanted nodes, one above another, so it's a matter of selecting the Shape Tool and Tab or Shift Tab deleting nodes (just the straight line ones, not any curved ones). Unfortunately even the Smoothing tool doesn't remove these duplicated nodes:

Views:	122 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	124837  
    Egg

egg: That's similar to my method. Except that I used one shape that goes from top to bottom.
    Then cloned it and rotated it 45 degrees.

Name:	shape.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	124838  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Yes very similar Rick and probably easier to rotate than my method of using a Centring Circle. Still find the additional nodes created by Combine Shapes / Etc annoying.
    Egg

Personally I would use ProCAD+ on RISC OS for something like that. (Screenshot from the Windows version but, has some problems with newer versions of Windows.) Works nicely with Artworks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mcopy.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	124847
    Very easy and just need to draw circle and single tooth for the gear. Set reference point for the tooth to middle of the circle and use multiple copy, quantity 8 and object centre, click OK and the result will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    Personally I would use ProCAD+ on RISC OS for something like that. (Screenshot from the Windows version but, has some problems with newer versions of Windows.) Works nicely with Artworks.

Name:	Mcopy.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	124847
    Very easy and just need to draw circle and single tooth for the gear. Set reference point for the tooth to middle of the circle and use multiple copy, quantity 8 and object centre, click OK and the result will be perfect.
    Which is what Gary and i did in the Xara Desktop applications. The cog still needs to be shaped somehow.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Only need to draw single tooth and half of the gap to both sides, and the cog shape comes automatically. No need shaping and very easy to do with reference image or with some helper lines.

Name:	cog.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	124851
    Without reference image.