Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Drawing is too hard...

Right click the Xara icon and choose 'Run As Administrator'. Your errors are related to .dll's, they probably didn't register correctly.

If that works, you can start Xara by just double clicking, no need to Run As Admin again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Right click the Xara icon and choose 'Run As Administrator'. Your errors are related to .dll's, they probably didn't register correctly.

If that works, you can start Xara by just double clicking, no need to Run As Admin again.
    Thanks!

I had planned to install Windows 10 anyway, did that just now. Then installed it and now it installed VC runtime DLLs, which it did not when I had 365 installed. I guess 365 just placed some bit too old DLLs there (in the same folder in program files).

And this time Windows did not tell me that I should enable unsafe software sources. For some reason in the old install it did, like, some Windows store thing.

It works.

Some things are a bit weird in Xara compared to the other programs I have tried now, especially the selecting shapes in Affinity is a bit easier. And I never understood why Xara 6 or so introduced the temporary document view for groups, or how I could get the old things on double-click. But that's all, I guess, if I take into account that ClipView works a bit better, I guess, I should just buy the new Xara. And pray.

Edit: Oh, and in Affinity the outline of a target shape (ClipView clipping shape in Xara) draws just fine with a few clicks, but in Xara it somehow led me to add a stroke to all clipped shapes and some other problems, and I just copied the clipping shape to get a fresh outline with nothing attached. I'm not sure what's better, but Affinity felt faster.

Ok, smurf house in Xara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smurf_house.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	127458
    Last edited by me2; 22 July 2020 at 06:09 AM.

In Affinity, it's cool to select a clipped shape and copy and paste it, and it will appear within the clipping shape. Xara can do that only in the temporary document view? Which blends away what I do, I lose track of what I'm creating, and I omit that thing since it was invented in Xara 6. And 5 or so could let you stay with the existing shapes in view. I'm not sure, maybe I'm totally wrong. But the handling in Affinity is not bad. I wish the good things of Xara plus the good things of Affinity were combined into Aff.. Xaffinity.

The color picker bug was apparently only there because I had converted lines into shapes. And maybe there's a way to cast a shadow on a group of shapes, maybe some Affinity user knows something.

Another one, in Affinity. Colorful because of the workflow, somehow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smurf_house_affinity.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	127459
    Last edited by me2; 22 July 2020 at 07:16 AM.