Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Drawing is too hard...

Thanks guys... thanks a lot. I'm already working on it. Give me one year, and ... I mean, my time frame is one year. Just so. On 19.08.2020 I'll see how the drawings look like. Maybe I'll show them then. I'll be drawing things the coming time, no matter if it's art or not or how it looks just now. Just drawing. Yep. Thanks and take care and ideally see you 12 months later with things done.

I’m afraid I'm not great at drawing at all and don’t really enjoy doing it, but along with perspective and understanding light etc, I do recognise it’s one of the key fundamental requirements for producing better quality art.

Sharing your progress and ideas to a relevant online community, and as Rik mentioned, taking part in challenges can be beneficial (and fun) and help raise standards, particularly when mixing with experienced artists. Personally I find this provides a little extra motivation to do something that I wouldn't normally do.

If you look through the Xara art galleries and see examples of the type and quality of output you eventually want to achieve, then Xara software will probably be the program to focus your time on, learning it inside and out, warts and all. I think there is great merit in this approach, everything becoming second nature knowing where everything is, what it does and having the ability to workaround problems when it doesn't actually do what you want it do straight out of the box.

I would say though, workflows nowadays are seldom just contained just within one program and I wouldn't be blind to alternative options if they do what you want more quickly and efficiently.

An example came up recently on the forum where someone (Rik) was drawing a mechanical gear cog. You can easily and effectively do this in XDP, but if you then had to draw a further 25 cogs with varying numbers of teeth and hole radii etc, using Affinity Designer's cog tool would save a lot of time and effort.

Anyway, good luck with your journey ahead - I'm quite excited for you. Keep us posted!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Give me one year, and ... I mean, my time frame is one year. Just so. On 19.08.2020 I'll ...
    I need more time. I declare the time frame thing postponed to 19.08.2021.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	127450  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    the funny image
    hehe

I've decided to do the 7 days AI evaluation thing.

Edit:
    I have already managed to draw a thing like a message box saying something, just by installing Ai.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	127451

Edit 2:
    Now it shows me a template dialog that hides all its buttons I have to click under the taskbar, on my FHD notebook.

The dialog window is not resizable or maximizable, but I can move the window to the top, and I'll see part of the buttons. Also, there is a 1 in 4 chance that Windowskey+D for showing the desktop will place the dialog in front of the taskbar (which is just normal, the Windows 10 install is just one day old and I did not set anything special at all, like automatic hiding, unusual position etc). But clicking the dialog window does not bring it there. So, whatever place I place this window, this is all I can see of the buttons.

Name:	Untitled 2.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	127452

Me, using Ai for 20 seconds.

Okay, cancelled the subscription. That was short. Ai CS4 did work very well (not really the scripting), so, no Ai hate. Actually I like it. I'll re-try next year. I should never have sold my CS4 copy.
    Last edited by me2; 21 July 2020 at 08:34 PM.

To my surprise I found an Affinity Designer trial. It's quite good.

Though, the docked color picker on the right is never in context, does nothing or adds an unwanted stroke width. It's broken.

But I was able to draw another smurf house (no idea why that, maybe covers all I need). It looks a bit sterile. That smurf has germaphobia.

The ClipView/Powerclip feature in Affinity is good. I guess I'll buy it and try with that.

Name:	smurf_house.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	127454

All of this would be a lot easier in Xara. But perhaps we are prejudiced.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    All of this would be a lot easier in Xara. But perhaps we are prejudiced.
    I'm currently just staying away from Xara because it said "do not nudge" too often to me. I know I need a bigger document with bigger margin then, but it's like i get into a Xara-world where.. ... where you are afraid of ..Xara-wolves?...I mean.. it's hard to explain. Also I don't know what the Xara cloud is. It talks about web design at some point, and I didn't even know where the original Xara product is placed. Never tried it.

Sorry about the wrong comparisons.

One thing I found difficult in Affinity is casting a shadow on a bunch of things. I thought when I put shapes into a group and try to drag-drop a transparent black onto that group layer, that shadow so to speak would only be cast onto each shape in the group. But Affinity makes it also show at the transparent part of the group. Isn't that wrong, and doesn't Xara do that like you "would expect"? I'm going to try.

Couldn't get a shadow from the big green circle onto the things below. But I guess there is a (non-destructive) trick, in Affinity.

Name:	affinity_tree.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	127455

Yep, Clipview just does what you would expect. Affinity doesn't, yet.

I just tried to uninstall Adobe. CC eats 7% CPU for idling in the traybar... you know what? Adobe cannot be uninstalled. I ended the CC process, but in Windows 10 add or remove features, I can try ten times to uninstall Ai, it will just do nothing, and CC replies with "you have Ai installed, I won't uninstall either." Isn't that nice...

I have installed the new Designer Pro from xara.com, the desktop product.

Unfortunately it only does this:

Name:	err_1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	127456

Name:	err_2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	127457

and quits. Or .. crashes, depends on.. how you view it.

But maybe the new Xara version is just unhappy that I have installed Xara 365 like 30 minutes before? Maybe a DLL thing.

The computer is a new Lenovo X1 (gen 6, but only a few months old, says Lenovo serial number texts). And has Windows 10, installed two days before, with updates. User: Unfortunately me.