Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Embed Google Doc in Xara Template

Hello,

I'm working in XDP X v.16 and with website template.

Recently asked about embedding blog, and after feedback here believe a different approach may be better.

My customer wants ability to edit text on one page of website, an "announcements" page.

Is Google Docs more appropriate solution than blog? Wonder if this will work and be user-friendly for client.

Is Google Docs with Xara Online Designer the way to go?

If so, looking for input, tutorial, or video to use Xara cloud online editing for this purpose; allowing client edit of text only.

If I’m not on the right path, looking for suggestions on how to accomplish this.

I will spend the time to read/watch tutorial. Just want to be on the right track.

As always, I appreciate kindness of folks here to share info.

P.S. Wonder if I posted this question in correct thread.

Sue

Default Re: Embed Google Doc in Xara Template

Google Drive (previously called Google Docs) is one way forward Sue. It does have certain limitations, mainly regarding the size of the content, but provided you can ensure your client knows of this limitation and can keep the document to a certain size it can be effective.

Create your doc and then select File / Publish to Web. Select Embed and copy the supplied code.

Example:
    <iframe src="https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRN-u5hR_wTpUV3cS7EZzkuWXmtcnw8Bx0FSJYwaJc8cI3r8UCX0l7 NrTWLO4gL2VH9g1UXMAI3a454/pub?embedded=true"></iframe>
    Create a placeholder in Xara and paste the above code but add the following to that code:

width=480 height=100% scrolling=auto frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0>
    Such that the whole thing is:

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRN-u5hR_wTpUV3cS7EZzkuWXmtcnw8Bx0FSJYwaJc8cI3r8UCX0l7 NrTWLO4gL2VH9g1UXMAI3a454/pub?embedded=true"
    width=480 height=100% scrolling=auto frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0></iframe>
    Editing is not instant but usually within a couple of minutes, so hit Ctrl+F5

You can view the webpage HERE

There's more to know, but I'll answer later
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Works pretty good!

Egg,

Thank you SO much, this looks like the best option for this project. It is easy enough for the non-tech savvy customer to add text in a doc.

Your directions with code are very much appreciated. I've done Google Calendars and Google Maps, and was not familiar with Google Docs.

It looks like I can change the doc background color to match the website too.

I had already spent a bit of time researching and wasn't sure which direction to go. This is it! Thanks again for taking time to shared instruction and code.

Back to work for me.

Sue

Hello again Sue,

A few more things to bear in mind:

1: Google doesn't allow you to change page sizes. But you can add an Add-On called Page Sizer that does, a great freebie.

2: Mobiles and Tablets don't produce individual scrollbars, so you need to create place holders in the variants of long lengths to hold the content and allow for scrolling with the finger only. A pia. This is why I add a graphic at the end of of the content to act as a footer as the placeholder may be far longer than is required.

To see the difference view the link above on a mobile (I've added a 500 px variant) on a mobile or tablet. The content won't scroll.

But lengthening the mobile variant does allow scrolling but getting the length the correct size can be hit & miss, so it won't work well for a client who wants to post a short note one week and a whole chapter the next, so be aware.

A LINK to a mobile version that does.

The same use can also be used for Google Sheets to produce tables
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host