Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to execute expandxar.exe

I got the message 'Failed to read XAR file', so I can not open my work. Looked around and found the one solution is to run the Expandxar file. I already downloaded it, but don't know how to execute. There is some post that it is a command line tool, but I don't know how to insert in DOS application. Someone could help me? Thank you!
    Fernando

Info Re: How to execute expandxar.exe

Fernando, there is no point in me paraphrasing the original http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html:

ALL IS NOT LOST!!! Many of us has experienced the frustration of not being able to open a XAR file that for some mysterious reason has become corrupted. Well, all may not be lost. Gerry I from the Xara Ltd. Development Group has come up with something that might recover part or all of your corrupted file. It is called Expand.XAR. Here’s how it works. Now works with web files too.

• Extract the ExpanderXar.exe program from the archive (the ZIP file) to the same folder as the bad *.xar file.
      Select Start\Run and type cmd and hit Return (Enter).
      Change directory to the correct folder, for example cd C:\MyXarFiles (cd is the command to change the directory to the folder (path name) where your corrupt file is languishing.
      Run the utility by keying in: expandxar mybadfile.xar output.xar or expandxarmybadfile.web output.web
      If an output file is generated (output.xar in the above case) then try loading it into Xtreme, ignoring warnings about unrecognized tags.
      If it loads and you want to keep the recovered data then re-save the document where ever you like. Click here to download the ZIPped archive expander.xar (69K).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: How to execute expandxar.exe

And the original ZIP file is still available. I cannot remember how long ago I wrote this. I was younger then. I hope it still works.