Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,060

    Bug XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    Dear Xara...

    I have eight files open in XDPX16.2: 3 x Unsaved; 3 x Saved but Modified: 2 Saved.
    For some reason these same files open in XDPXv11.5.2, all complaining there have been created in a newer version.
    This is not happening with XDPXv12 or XDPXv15.

    I keep all these versions available for TG support and my own sanity until you sort out the ever growing bugs that are being added to in each version.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,060

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    Dear Xara...

    Thank you so much for not bothering to answer for 28 weeks.

    I still have the problem but have now swept it under the carpet by changes the v11 backup path to a subfolder of where all my backups go.

    It is bad coding that a version is unable to determine which files belong to it.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,472

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have eight files open in XDPX16.2: 3 x Unsaved; 3 x Saved but Modified: 2 Saved.
    For some reason these same files open in XDPXv11.5.2, all complaining there have been created in a newer version.
    This is not happening with XDPXv12 or XDPXv15.
    I'm not sure if I fully understand what you're saying but when I open files in XDP 15.1 that were made in a later version, I do get the warning that they were created in a newer version.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,060

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I'm not sure if I fully understand what you're saying but when I open files in XDP 15.1 that were made in a later version, I do get the warning that they were created in a newer version.
    Not quite. I keep a number of design files open in v16.3.
    I happen to use v11 for helping TGers and myself. When I open v11, I get the v16.3 tabbed documents appearing and complaining.

    The problem arises if I then work on one of these files in v11 and save it and publish, I am stuffed as the items that were designed under v16 will not present on a website in the same fashion.

    It should not be happening and is down to incorrect coding on Xara's part.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    not sure I entirely agree - I can think of a few program apps where there is no backward compatibility for all the features, and such a thing can happen, it depends what it is...
    -------------------------------
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,060

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    not sure I entirely agree - I can think of a few program apps where there is no backward compatibility for all the features, and such a thing can happen, it depends what it is...
    Sorry, it is not a case of backward compatibility, it is the fact that a set of open documents will then be opened in another version. This does not happen if I open v15, v12, v10 and earlier. v16 and v11 interfere with each other such that I cannot use them separately.

    The code for "Hey! I've just opened, go and get all the files I left on the document tab bar and open them for me." "No, not the ones my buddy v16 has, mine!" is croak.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    ok i hear what you say, but if as i suspect the issue is in ver 11 should the company be using resource on this that might be better used elsewhere... it is a very arcane issue only affecting the one version ?
    Last edited by handrawn; 25 February 2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: on mobile fat fingers
    -------------------------------
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,060

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok i hear what you say, but if as i suspect the issue is in ver 11 should the company be using resource on this that might be better used elsewhere... it is a very arcane issue only affecting the one version ?
    Not necessarily. It might be a change in v16.3 that impacts backwards to v11 but it might affect future releases. I am pointing out that if you don't know what you have done differently, you cannot understand the unintended consequences. Xara: "I'm sure it doesn't matter." is not an answer.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    how many users use more than the latest version they have ?
    -------------------------------
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ...Granada province, Andalucia, Spain
    Posts
    5,217

    Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    how many users use more than the latest version they have ?

    I do. For my own sanity I generally fire up Xtreme 5 rather than the latest garbage. I find the user interface rather quaint and comforting.
    I really do not like the warning messages that are so prevalent in the later iterations* that are virtually unintelligible and are in fact a hindrance
    to workflow rather than of any practical use.

    * I use a version that has the healing tool from time to time, which is actually very good.


    @ Acorn - Your unremitting unswervable persistence in the pursuit of a sensible reply from magiXara defies all logic, but I commend you for it.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 27 February 2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: addendum for the attention of Acorn
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •