Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: XDPX Version Confusion with Open Files

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    how many users use more than the latest version they have ?
    I also have Xtreme 5 and use it regularly. Wish I had the versions in between as would love to see what is different in them.

sure bob, you do, acorn does, i do, and quite a few others on this forum i dare say.... but how typical are we

i don' t think we are at all typical... was the forum ever ?

affinity 8 has just come out free for existing customers btw, no update issues, no need to have multiple versions, no need to shout into the void about issues that I can see
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    affinity 8 has just come out free for existing customers btw, no update issues, no need to have multiple versions, no need to shout into the void about issues that I can see
    Affinity 1.8 delivery and content is simply what Xara is looking in the window at and marveling.

Shame that Betamax was better and lost - Xara is our graphical Betamax!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

you nail your colours too early you take the risk
    Nothing lasts forever...

This will be likely that we introduced a tag that is used in version 12 onwards. As Xara scans the document you open and finds a tag it doesn't recognize, it'll throw up the made in a newer version warning. If it doesn't appear in version 12 onwards it normally means the document is compatible and you shouldn't have any problems editing.

Officially, I'd recommend to edit documents in either the same or a newer version. Backwards compatibility (opening older documents in newer versions) should be guaranteed, Newer documents in older versions isn't, but I have seen some weird things when opening fairly extreme examples like a XAR file made in version 4/5 in 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    This will be likely that we introduced a tag that is used in version 12 onwards. As Xara scans the document you open and finds a tag it doesn't recognize, it'll throw up the made in a newer version warning. If it doesn't appear in version 12 onwards it normally means the document is compatible and you shouldn't have any problems editing.

Officially, I'd recommend to edit documents in either the same or a newer version. Backwards compatibility (opening older documents in newer versions) should be guaranteed, Newer documents in older versions isn't, but I have seen some weird things when opening fairly extreme examples like a XAR file made in version 4/5 in 16.
    Again, the point has been totally missed.

I have/had no intention whatsoever of editing current files in an older version; I understand what this may mean. I did not open v11 to work on a v16 file, v11 did it all on its ownsome.

What I am explaining is I am working in my normal current application. I leave a few files open and unsaved and close v16 to check a TG issue in v11. When I open it, the same files have been loaded into v11 that are all open in the Document Tabs in v16.
    Should I be daft enough, and I was once, to remove them from v11 (Discard), they have vanished from v16 when I go back. I recovered them from a backup.

v11 should have its own dataset for its Document Tabs and they should not be linked back to any other version.

If this rogue code is still in the current version, it should be amended.
    I am not after a v11 fix, I have described a way round it already.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah, in which case go to Utilities > Options > Backups and turn the "backup open documents on program close and restore on program start" option off.

ah got it, sorry, you mean minimse ver 16 with files open [not close it] and they then appear in ver 11 wwhen you open it without you having loaded them there ?

but only happening with ver 11... still inclined to thing that means a ver 11 issue, if it does not happen in 12 or 15... but rob should know...
    Nothing lasts forever...

cross posted - still does not explain why itis only ver 11... ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Ah, in which case go to Utilities > Options > Backups and turn the "backup open documents on program close and restore on program start" option off.
    Rob, thank you.

So the actual trick is if you have this option active, make sure your Backups are made to different directories.

It is a pity that Xara didn't think that people might actually use their perpetual licences and have different versions running on the same machine, for testing, for assistance, for overcoming bugs.

Acorn