Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Color with Gradient Tool no longer working properly - Native plugin

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    As I have always maintained, if it were easy to do, it would have been done a long time ago. Grayscale is another of these.
    Might just be true.

Then again...we have a good list here with simple things that may never get added.

BTW, if I can fake it out of XP&GD and it be for all practical purposes a duotone, I think Xara can do it right...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: pdf 2.pdf (535.0 KB, 81 views)

Hello Guys. The question here is not if Xara "Can" do duotone effects with the Color Gradient tool in the FX option.
    It can definitely do so. The Duotone example I gave was an example from it.
    The problem is when I open the project again to do edits, The tool will not act right and the effects are gone. It's very weird and should not be happening.
    It's literally the only problem I am seeing on my PC in total.

I might just upgrade but I might just reinstall first.

I just tried this and I do not get a duotone when I export to PDF/X I get two colors that are CMYK.

Yes it looks like a duotone and you can create a "contone" using two Pantone spot colors, and it looks like a duo-tone, but in the Acrobat Ink Manager, it only shows CMYK.

Mike - When you eliminate the process colors you don't have much detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not-a-tone.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	124861  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Mike - When you eliminate the process colors you don't have much detail.
    Turn the black plate on...

I never really do this in XP&GD/XDP. But one can do it and retain p.tone values. The initial p.tone is really a circular gradient-filled rectangle above the image set to a blend mode. It will overprint the black plate.

I also, because Xara stuff cannot use grayscale images and output them that way, a trip through Acrobat to convert images to gray is required if only two plates are desired. It also takes communication with a (real) print service provider.

Also, as I don't often output pdfs directly from Xara applications, that altered pdf would then go into Q and the images be flattened during its pdf generation. Technically it creates a similar pdf, but it eliminates the transparency involved which some print providers have difficulty with.

Explanation helpful. I did notice that when I enabled K the image was there. But you are correct, if the functions are there then Xara should be able to make a duotone with spot colors work.

Good stuff guys thanks.