Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create a 16-page A5 booklet...

I've created a booklet / brochure / newsletter with 16 x A5 portrait pages.

I want to print this onto 4 sheets of A4 paper - landscape mode with 2 vertical A5 pages per sheet of A4.

No matter which print or page set-up options I select, it always prints as I've got it laid-out in Xara Designer Pro - pages 16 & 1 on sheet 1 side 1 with pages 2 & 3 on sheet 1 side 2, pages 4 & 5 on sheet 2 side 1, pages 6 & 7 on sheet 2 side 2 etc, etc.

What I want is to print pages 16 & 1 on sheet 1 side 1, with pages 2 & 15 on sheet 1 side 2, pages 3 & 14 on sheet 2 side 1, pages 4 & 13 on sheet 2 side 2 etc, etc.

I've been doing this in Serif PagePlus for years, producing our village newsletter and the software automatically lays it out how I want.

Additionally in PagePlus, if I export as a PDF (to email to distant ex-residents), I have the option to export as laid-out, so one page follows another for easy reading, or I can impose the pages (which is what I want Designer Pro to do) to send to a printer.

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong and give a simple step-by-step guide to doing it correctly?

Thanks,

Default Re: How to create a 16-page A5 booklet...

Xara software doesn't have a 'Print Booklet' capability, so you have to use the 'Booklet' setting on your printer if it is available. How I do it is: set up a single page A5 document (so not: 'Double-page') and when I'm ready to print it, choose the 'Booklet' setting with A4 paper size.

If your printer doesn't have imposition capability, you could export your document as a PDF file, open it in PagePlus and take it from there.

Export as single pages in what is called "reader order." So page 1 to 16.

Open the pdf in Adobe Reader (or likely any/most pdf reader). From Adobe Reader you can print a booklet. You will need to pick the paper size from the print dialog if it is different than your default paper size. Choose the orientation if needed. Choose one of the scaling options if needed.

OK - thanks guys.
    I've tried these suggestions and whilst they do work, they're incredibly tedious.
    Even though Serif's PagePlus is now a legacy product and is no longer being updated, it seems far more capable than Designer Pro - a 'Pro' item that doesn't offer page imposition?
    I've deleted my trial version of Designer Pro and will continue with PagePlus.
    Thanks again for your input.