Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Ryzen 9 3900X

Hybrid View

Default Re: Ryzen 9 3900X

First off, I would look at my Windows Virtual memory settings and allocate it a large value, possibly as much as 8192MB as you have 64GB Memory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-cba1401ae4c9

I would also look over all the Windows Systems options and tune up your PC; lots of Internet advice out there; just do a bit at a time and work out how to roll back.

The Xara Desktop application hardly uses multi-core processing so upgrading for just Xara would be a waste of money.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

if he has 64Gb of real memory, allocating virtual memory won't gain anything as you only need it (and it's slower) when real memory gets full and the O/S starts to swap things out.

To my mind, the system he has now is perfectly adequate. I've got an i7 8700 with 16Gb of memory and I haven't noticed anything slow (maybe that's what I am used to) and I have 2 or 3 20+ page web sites I'm playing with.

I'd look elsewhere rather than buy new hardware. Maybe some other program is interfering somewhere. Look at Task Manager and Performance Manager a bit.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sh View Post
    Acorn,

if he has 64Gb of real memory, allocating virtual memory won't gain anything as you only need it (and it's slower) when real memory gets full and the O/S starts to swap things out.

To my mind, the system he has now is perfectly adequate. I've got an i7 8700 with 16Gb of memory and I haven't noticed anything slow (maybe that's what I am used to) and I have 2 or 3 20+ page web sites I'm playing with.

I'd look elsewhere rather than buy new hardware. Maybe some other program is interfering somewhere. Look at Task Manager and Performance Manager a bit.

Alan
    I was having a similar thought, just wanted some input before trying something else. although the i7 8700 is a 6 core, two cores more than mine, wonder if that helps?

I am not bad a all things PC, build my own etc, but this has me stumped as my video and Audio program does a lot more (needs updating soon) and seems to handle it better, nothing in the task manager to suggest any obvious issues.

I think the page file is not an issue, as it is usually only for system dumps when you have over 8GB or so.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.