Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryzen 9 3900X

Question Ryzen 9 3900X

Hi Peeps

Just thought I would see what the views are on upgrading a PC to Ryzen 9 3900X from an Intel I7 7700 for web designer premium.
    Its not just for that program, but I would upgrade sooner if it would make everything faster and save my sanity.

I am finding that my PC is struggling to cope with some websites I am building, especially if I have two sites open, each with over 30 pages. When I copy across some content for instance, its bad even selecting some text, as it takes ages for the action window to open so I can copy etc. ( waiting ages maybe only 5 or so seconds, but constantly waiting for every action is taking a lot of time and more importantly driving me nuts)

I have i7-7700 4 core Processor with 64GB memory, an Nvidia RX 2070 and an NVME drive, so I was thinking I should be OK with speed and responsiveness, as the programs system requirements are quite light.

My CPU usage never goes above 18% and the memory is never over 22% so its not working hard as I see it, so thinking an upgrade would not make a lot of difference due to my CPU right now is not maxed out when in use.

Do you think the new Ryzen 9 3900X would make any difference if I upgraded now, rather than wait for the price to drop in about 6 months.

Do you think web designer would benefit much from upgrading to a 12 core CPU?

Default Re: Ryzen 9 3900X

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I have no idea. Is your current computer slow with other software?

Having no idea whatsoever what a Ryzen 9 3900X is I just looked it up. It is primarily a gaming chip. I am not sure that is going to buy you anything. I could be wrong but I am fairly sure the software would have to be designed to take advantage of the chip's capabilities and I don't think Web Designer is.

First off, I would look at my Windows Virtual memory settings and allocate it a large value, possibly as much as 8192MB as you have 64GB Memory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-cba1401ae4c9

I would also look over all the Windows Systems options and tune up your PC; lots of Internet advice out there; just do a bit at a time and work out how to roll back.

The Xara Desktop application hardly uses multi-core processing so upgrading for just Xara would be a waste of money.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

if he has 64Gb of real memory, allocating virtual memory won't gain anything as you only need it (and it's slower) when real memory gets full and the O/S starts to swap things out.

To my mind, the system he has now is perfectly adequate. I've got an i7 8700 with 16Gb of memory and I haven't noticed anything slow (maybe that's what I am used to) and I have 2 or 3 20+ page web sites I'm playing with.

I'd look elsewhere rather than buy new hardware. Maybe some other program is interfering somewhere. Look at Task Manager and Performance Manager a bit.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sh View Post
    Acorn,

if he has 64Gb of real memory, allocating virtual memory won't gain anything as you only need it (and it's slower) when real memory gets full and the O/S starts to swap things out.

To my mind, the system he has now is perfectly adequate. I've got an i7 8700 with 16Gb of memory and I haven't noticed anything slow (maybe that's what I am used to) and I have 2 or 3 20+ page web sites I'm playing with.

I'd look elsewhere rather than buy new hardware. Maybe some other program is interfering somewhere. Look at Task Manager and Performance Manager a bit.

Alan
    I was having a similar thought, just wanted some input before trying something else. although the i7 8700 is a 6 core, two cores more than mine, wonder if that helps?

I am not bad a all things PC, build my own etc, but this has me stumped as my video and Audio program does a lot more (needs updating soon) and seems to handle it better, nothing in the task manager to suggest any obvious issues.

I think the page file is not an issue, as it is usually only for system dumps when you have over 8GB or so.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ore View Post

Do you think web designer would benefit much from upgrading to a 12 core CPU?
    in a word, no

I just upgraded to ryzen 7 2700X 64GB memory and it has made no difference to Xara designer that I can see

as has been said Xara does not do multicore processing at this level; I chose the AMD because the better multicore capability is helpful for rendering animation/video - in fact like for like, the intel has the edge on pure single core speed and so if anything would be better for Xara I would think
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    in a word, no

I just upgraded to ryzen 7 2700X 64GB memory and it has made no difference to Xara designer that I can see

as has been said Xara does not do multicore processing at this level; I chose the AMD because the better multicore capability is helpful for rendering animation/video - in fact like for like, the intel has the edge on pure single core speed and so if anything would be better for Xara I would think
    Thank you for the insight, I think your right about intel especially for some video encoding and games.

If the product comparison pages are up to date Web Designer Premium doesn't support multi core CPU at all.
    https://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/compare/
    https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/compare/

Edit: What I wanted to say is that it might be worth a try to download the Designer Pro Trial and check if that improves the performance enough to justify the upgrade price.
    Last edited by siran; 10 August 2019 at 06:22 AM.

You can only use one thread in your multi-processor, so that's why your processor utilisation is low and why upgrading the processor would be a waste. Xara doesn't use processing power from video cards.

You have plenty of memory and an SSD so from a Xara point of view you have a fantastic system already.

I suspect your 30 page websites have a ton of high-resolution images that Xara is struggling to manipulate.

When you have long text streams, Xara becomes slow. I already noticed this in my book project, but none of Xara ever responded to this.

Since then, I have paid attention to designing only short text streams/sections.
    Rather several text frames that are not linked than a long text stream. Xara almost crashes or takes forever to render the text.

Would be a possibility why Xara reacts so slowly.