Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Flip object not working

I have a png image that i want to flip horizontally. I even think I have flipped the same image before. When I select the image and click on the either the flip horizonal or vertical nothing happens.

Probably something very simple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teddy_bear_logo_contractor.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	124684  

Default Re: Flip object not working

Probably something very simple.
    Far from it Onlye, it was something Xara introduced a couple of versions back named 'Smart Transform'. It's much hated.

To switch it off you need to Right Click over the Lock Aspect padlock icon and untick (uncheck) the Smart Transform !!!! You couldn't hide this feature any better if you tried.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	124685  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

My dos centavos. Software has its unique way of accomplishing a task. Leave it that way. Unless you can really make something better, for example, adding a simple Apply option to some of the FX Distortion effects so the user can apply several settings and then apply all at once, then leave the feature be. If it works it works. And to arbitrarily change the way a feature works because it seems like a better solution, is not always a good addition.

This is not to say that every tool and feature should not be revisited to determine if said feature could be made easier or more efficient. But to simply change a feature that existing users have learned how to employ because a perceived better way to accomplish the task is discovered, and then as Egg points out, to hide the ability to disable the feature just is not good interface design.

[Having totally offended the developers, he quietly steps off his soapbox and exits stage left!]

[Having totally offended the developers, he quietly steps off his soapbox and exits stage left!]
    No we shouldn't quietly exit stage left Gary! We should be screaming from the rooftops (and in most Xara users cases their care home rooftops)

This feature should never have been introduced & should be removed forthwith.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    No we shouldn't quietly exit stage left Gary! We should be screaming from the rooftops (and in most Xara users cases their care home rooftops)

This feature should never have been introduced & should be removed forthwith.
    What was that Egg? speak up, I can't hear you, my earring aid packed up, my teeth are jammed in the glass! and now I'm drowning in this bloody bed bath Joking a part, I totally agree the feature should be removed.

Stygg

Or at least turned off by default on a fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Far from it Onlye, it was something Xara introduced a couple of versions back named 'Smart Transform'. It's much hated.

To switch it off you need to Right Click over the Lock Aspect padlock icon and untick (uncheck) the Smart Transform !!!! You couldn't hide this feature any better if you tried.
    Thanks Egg and everyone for the help.

I kept thinking it was something to do with the selection bound handles. Would never have thought "Oh, hover over the Lock Aspect and the on/off switch is there"

Anyway. I got my customer's Facebook post done with my little bear facing the chosen direction.

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    Would never have thought "Oh, hover over the Lock Aspect and the on/off switch is there"
    Funnily enough Xara thinks everyone would realise this!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat