Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I take my music seriously - but maybe not this seriously

That's me that is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	124724  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    I'm aware of Waves - I have their standalone [midi-controlled] Codex wave synth and a couple of VTS instruments

They have a range of 'Abbey Road' product - there seems to be marketing appeal in harking back to the days of physical echo chambers, reverb plates and such

@ EGG
    but.... even without fleas, they suit you so well !
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

While my ears perk up when I hear a classic rock n roll song from the 70's or 80's, for the most part music isn't a need I have. I've driven a thousand miles or more without the radio on, there's plenty of thought computations going on in my head even in silence - I prefer silence to most music anyway. Disc jockey musical choices seldom match my interest. I don't take music seriously at all... but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Ex 3rd rate DJ from the seedy venues and outdoor raves of the late eighties here...quality? Oh, you mean bigger diameter, more volume and never mind the slight distortion it's just your fillings rattling quality? Yup, know what you mean. Expert at making that doof as doofy as possible.
    never fancied being a DJ myself.. I mean it would entail playng a lot of music I didn't actually like... or have I got that all wrong ....

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I've driven a thousand miles or more without the radio on
    for me 'listening' to background music is by and large not taking music that seriously, for a start you can't actually concentrate on it properly whilst driving or doing anything else that needs your concentration as a priority, and second most in-car systems are not actualy that good - they may well exhibit the atrributes Chris was talking about even in surround sound, but a small box with wheels is still just a small box, acoustically speaking...

I find listening to the right kind of music in the right conditions very relaxing ... but what works is very personal...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

I find listening to the right kind of music in the right conditions very relaxing ... but what works is very personal...
    That's absolutely spot on. I have a friend who is a psychologist and he frequently delves into peoples interpretations of what they call 'good' and 'bad' music. He favours meaningful lyrics and the memories that some tracks provoke. I, on the other hand, think of the human voice as being (largely) just another instrument, the actual lyrics being secondary. I like music that transports me to another place, or transforms me into something else. Native Indian and tribal African drums connect with me far more than a classical piano or an orchestra.

Similarly, meaningful lyrics, as in Bohemian Rhapsody or Bridge Over Troubled Waters, don't grab my attention anywhere near as much as a simple four to the floor kick and throbbing bass line that pounds on at 135 to 150 bpm. I'm (sorry, was) a dancer, not a listener. I can appreciate a musician who plays traditional instruments, but it's the Roland 303 and Giorgio Moroder who birthed my musical passions.

Speaker quality? Do the mids slap me in the face like a wet fish? Do the tweets give me toothache? Do the woofers compress my ribs? If the answer is yes, the quality is fine in my book.

From Disco to Techno. It's been my longest love affair and created most of my fondest memories.

Same here, I go into department stores and deliberately ride the escalators

But on a more serious note I believe live music is far superior to recorded music. Many years ago when in Beira in Mozambique we regularly loaded copper ingots that took two strong men to lift & swing for the next two men to do the same and so on and on. Backbreaking work that went on for hours and it was all done with the most unbelievable singing by one man singing rhythm and the rest of the gang singing reply. In a steel hold, 60' x 26' x 80' the sound was unbelievable.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Well I have seen wristwatches selling for $100, 200K. Do they tell time any better? This is not new technology in phone cartridges and maybe worth $100-200. Maybe 300.
    That pricing is insane. But, I'm sure that company will continue to charge that price as long as people pay it. 1 sale covers an employee's salary for a month.