Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: text in a spiral

Many thanks to all, I converted the spiral to an editable shape and the text flowed perfectly, I didn't have a problem with it not following the line properly. The only glitch is that I was originally thinking of having the text begin at the outer spiral end rather than at the center, it fit better in the overall piece, but this is something I can work around easily and it isn't going to be a problem for what I have to do. In the end, I don't want the spiral line, just the text, but it was simple to remove the line and the text stayed where it was supposed to be. I haven't done the complete text yet, I'm still composing, but it looks like I have a solution that I can work with. As always, the folks at TalkGraphics are GREAT!!

You could try reversing the line - with the line selected use the line tool and the reverse button is on the InfoBar.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Quote Originally Posted by charliescoffee View Post
    The only glitch is that I was originally thinking of having the text begin at the outer spiral end rather than at the center
    Also try selecting the text and use the Left/Right/Centre/Justify options.

Easiest way I found is to use the smart handles to change the shape and ungroup to get a line; you have lots of line choices then, brush strokes, freehand line changes, text to left, centre or right justified.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spirals.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	124646  

If you need an alternative way of creating a spiral (linear or exponential) Dmitry Malutin's SPX Spiral Generator is still available to download from the Xara Xone archive page: http://site.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot-for-xara-xone-archive.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	124648

I don't think you can drag an drop directly into XDP anymore but you can easily drag and drop to the Windows desktop then drag the eps file into Xara.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I got it to work using the spiral Johopen's suggested. I don't know if it would work using the Xara spiral, perhaps I just did something wrong when I tried it, but it's too late now to worry about what I might have done wrong, I got the text to spiral, I got rid of the lines, and it's doing (almost) what I wanted. My original plan was to have the text spiral from the outside in and this solution works from the inside out, but I've got a spiral and I'm not going to complain at this point about this relatively minor hitch. I can rework the overall item so the text works this way and I'm happy. Many thanks to all and especially to Johopen and Christine for your help. P.S. I'll play with reversing the text tomorrow, if that works, great, but if it doesn't, at least I've got the spiral. I've always been able to depend on TalkGraphics!!!
    Last edited by charliescoffee; 01 August 2019 at 10:49 AM.