Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Multiple variants of widget causing problems and I can't 'liveshare' it as one.

Hi there,
    I'm a tour guide and made my own website with Xara. I love it. I'm having a bit of an issue with my booking 'widget'. I have it in a placeholder image and I have three variants of my site...but I'm being told this can't be liveshared. If I make a 'simple copy' of it then the page with the widget comes up with a message saying that multiple copies of the widget are being used. You can see this here;

https://www.historicedinburghtours.c...-town-tour.htm

I'd really appreciate any help with what to do here.

Many thanks in advance.
    Yours,
    Robert

Default Re: Multiple variants of widget causing problems and I can't 'liveshare' it as one.

I can see it Robert. I don't use Bookeroo or whatever but forms across variants always cause issues.

As a simple workaround couldn't you just create a page on each variant of exactly the same size that only contains the booking form? Or a pop-up layer that opens a single page over all variants within a placeholder?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Multiple variants of widget causing problems and I can't 'liveshare' it as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I can see it Robert. I don't use Bookeroo or whatever but forms across variants always cause issues.

As a simple workaround couldn't you just create a page on each variant of exactly the same size that only contains the booking form? Or a pop-up layer that opens a single page over all variants within a placeholder?
    Thanks for the help Egg, I really appreciate that.

If I've got multiple variants, each page (in my case for this site) has three differently sized variants. Is there a way of , on certain pages anyway, only having one page (rather than the tree).
    Thanks.

I can share with you one solution I have used for a number of applications.

If I've got multiple variants, each page (in my case for this site) has three differently sized variants. Is there a way of, on certain pages anyway, only having one page (rather than the three).
    To answer your question first: Xara websites can have multiple variants (and scale-to-fit), but if you add or delete a page in one variant, it adds or deletes that page across ALL variants. You can have different content on the variants, but that does not help you here.

WIDGET WORK AROUND

1. A solution that should remove your issue is to create a separate Xara document for the form and export it as a supersite "https://yourdomain/myform (e.g. name the page "myform" not index); a supersite is fully responsive and does not have variants.
    2. From your website (same domain name) you would have a button link from each page variant to the form (using the full domain name) and the form would have a return link back to your website.
    3. You can style both your standard website and the supersite form to look like they and one and the same.
    4. You could create just one supersite too.

The upside is that if you change the form, you need only do this once.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary, that seems like a really useful work-around.
    I really appreciate the help from everyone on this issue.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    ... a supersite is fully responsive and does not have variants.
    Is that a new feature in version 16? I'm using v. 15.1 and supersites are not responsive and they do have variants (if you so choose).

The supersite widget application I had in mind does not require variants, but you are correct; supersites can have variants and a supersite is not fully responsive. Apologies.

I have used v16 'scale-to-fit-width' https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/whats-new/ for this particular widget application; it can create the appearance that the booking form is responsive. https://myform.initiostar.co.uk provides an example idea.

This example was created more simply than the original suggestions:

1. My Widget supersite was created as one Xara doc (this would hold the booking form widget), published normally to 'https://subdomain name. domain name'. (no variants).
    2. My Website created with mobile and desktop variants published to 'https://domain name' (main website links to widget website and vice versa) (in my example I used a secondary sub domain)

The outcome has the effect of combining a conventional website and supersite, but in this example, the supersite could also be a conventional web page.

Worth restating why this solution was suggested: the Bookeroo widget objected to page variants, reasons unknown, hence the rationale for placing the widget on its own page, from where it could called by any variant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale-to-fit-Width.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	124665  

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Your 'My Booking' page has two variants, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Your 'My Booking' page has two variants, doesn't it?
    Yes, the mobile variant is 480px to 780px wide, the desktop variant 780px to 1080px, scale-to-fit-width is set at 1080px which means the pasteboard picture (fill browser) expands beyond the page width.

Gary

Gary,
    Apologies for taking a long time to reply to this - I managed to get your suggestion implemented last month. Thank you so much!
    Yours,
    Robert