Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Database in the latest Xara Web Designer Premium

Hello, I want to publish a site for arts, with plenty of addresses and similar film's names in different parts of the site.
    Is there any way that I could use the Microsoft Access or Excel inside the programme, to create a database, instead of repeating the same details over and over again? If not, what would be the alternatives?
    I could create an external database for what I need, but then it would involve a lot of copy and paste...
    Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

At the same time, I need a freelancer to develop the site, I only have a draft. It has to be done in that programme, so I can insert and change data myself.
    Amine

Default Re: Database in the latest Xara Web Designer Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Amine artes View Post
    Hello, I want to publish a site for arts, with plenty of addresses and similar film's names in different parts of the site.
    Is there any way that I could use the Microsoft Access or Excel inside the programme, to create a database, instead of repeating the same details over and over again? If not, what would be the alternatives?
    I could create an external database for what I need, but then it would involve a lot of copy and paste...
    Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

At the same time, I need a freelancer to develop the site, I only have a draft. It has to be done in that programme, so I can insert and change data myself.
    Amine
    I wouldn't try, you would be trying to convert a static Xara website into one with PHP elements to extract and display the data.

If you were able to present the data as a table then there are mechanisms to access and display filtered data but again not out of the box. Google Sheets might be suitable, embedded as IFRAMEs.

You would have the challenge of PHP, MySQL and Ajax calls...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I don't want the site to show the database, it's just for me to do links.
    As an example, a cultural centre can show films, plays and lectures. There will be a page for films, another for plays and so on.
    Instead of copying the same address in all pages, I could link all the activities to only one address.

Quote Originally Posted by Amine artes View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I don't want the site to show the database, it's just for me to do links.
    As an example, a cultural centre can show films, plays and lectures. There will be a page for films, another for plays and so on.
    Instead of copying the same address in all pages, I could link all the activities to only one address.
    I didn't say the site needed to display the database. but if there is a row of information that is in the DB, you have to render it somehow and native Xara sites are not able to do such.

If you have multiple pages for one cultural centre then that information can be part of a Repeating Group. Your would need a set of pages for each cultural centre.
    At this point you have a number of aspirations that you need to actually define all the way down to data structure and site presentation.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Take a look at Vapid CMS and see if that sparks any ideas.

Or take a look at Xtom's CMS solution for websites built with Xara software: https://www.xt-cms.com/.

Thanks for the recommendation Boy. Btw I just recently released a pretty big update for it -> https://www.xt-cms.com/blog/xt-cms-v2-whats-new/
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Good to hear that you're still going strong! Congrats with the new version.

Thanks, still need to get the demo pages back up running been busy refreshing the site over the last week or so.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

I just registered and downloaded the trial version XTom, this may very well be just what I need to get my client to upkeep his own upcoming events calendar!

Will be testing shortly.