Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pop-up Hell

Default Re: Pop-up Hell

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The only time that happens here is if I have the shape selected. If I do have a shape selected, like right after drawing a shape, and choose to add a text column or a text line, I hit the escape key and whichever type of text object gets created normally.
    Seems fine to me.
    Until you have a clutch of Shapes on the page and switch to the Text tool...

...the one thing I have discovered is if no Shape is select and you go to the Text tool and use Ctrl+Select the pop-up appears for that Shapes; if you just Select you get normal (Xara) capability.

It is the Select within the bounds of a selected Shape that is the problem.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Like I said, just hitting escape works no matter what. Even with the text tool active before I begin drawing out the text area.

If I have multiple objects selected, choose the text tool and have forgotten to deselect those objects and start the text area within the bounds of the last selected object and get the pop-up, I can hit escape twice, once dismisses the pop-up and once again deselects the objects, I can draw the text area anywhere.

'Xara Designer Pro' and 'Xara Graphic Designer' the clues are there in the titles of these 2 programs. They are both called 'Designer' presumably because they are purportedly for use by Designers. Although these unwanted popups would suggest otherwise. If I load a design program, I want to start drawing or typing with it. That was easier to do in the early days of the program than it is now. That isn't progress in my book. Nothing that has been introduced in later editions of the program over quite a few years now has come remotely close to improving the user experience. It gets tougher all the time to ignore all the distractions thrown up by new improvements that require turning off, or at least stopping to read what one has done to incur the displeasure of the program. This nannying is becoming one of the main features of Xara. I love the program for its ease of use, but these annoyances are actually getting in the way of both productivity and any pleasure that used to be derived from using the program.

The spiral tool* works nicely, and some of the newer brushes are a welcome addition, but nothing much over the last decade or more has sent me scurrying off to my credit card to invest in what has been on offer. This is a huge disappointment. We have made plenty of suggestions for new or revamped tools, but nothing much has been forthcoming (except of coure the new Auto-fitting Text inside a QuickShape - and who knew that we all wanted that?). I have acknowledged elsewhere the improvements to text handling, but in this regard, they have been long overdue.
    *as long as one has an internet connection (and how dull is that?)
    Edit: Apologies to Rod Sterling and The Twilight Zone TV series for plagiarising their logo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pop.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	124596  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 23 July 2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

If you want, there is a Registry entry that will shut off the automatic placement of text inside, along with the pop-up. This setting returns the old behavior without removing the ability to place text inside a shape...see below the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_000116.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	124599

One can still opt to place text into a specific object by right-clicking the object and choosing to do so and selecting the desired option.

thanks for that Mike [saves me looking ]

the one popup the irritates me more than any other is the one that presumes an imported image would be best be converted to a jpg - I never use jpgs in my Xara designs... jpgs are for photos and my art is not that kind of continuous tone image, and for why would I use a lossy format anyway, just storing up trouble down the line

can be killed in the registry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    ... If I load a design program, I want to start drawing or typing with it...
    You can. It's just that you had created a template and used it that has a rectangle, that rectangle was selected, and you tried to type into it. With the new features, Xara has to ask you what you really want to do. Now you know what to do, I presume.

If you had created and selected a text box instead of a rectangle in your template, then you would not have seen the pop-up...until later.

It is your opinion, not fact, that this is an unwanted pop-up. It is my opinion that the pop-up is wanted.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

I already explained that above...and I do know what to do, I removed the program from my system.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.