Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Having trouble with my tick symbol not showing correctly on the site

Hi,
    I've downloaded a tick symbol and it looks correct on the working file but when it goes live it shows as a small box instead of a tick. Any ideas welcome!
    Lisa.

Default Re: Having trouble with my tick symbol not showing correctly on the site

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon@57 View Post
    Hi,
    I've downloaded a tick symbol and it looks correct on the working file but when it goes live it shows as a small box instead of a tick. Any ideas welcome!
    Lisa.
    Lisa, welcome to TalkGraphics. Downloaded from where? (Insert > Symbol: tick - FontAwesome) What font is it? (Shape or actual glyph) How are you using it? (As text or as bullet)

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Having trouble with my tick symbol not showing correctly on the site

The Tick symbol (' or '') is not the default for most programs use curly quotes. It is on the Mac. But you already know this.

The box appears because the font you are using does not have this symbol which is odd because I think all fonts do.
    If you have Character Map (I think Windows has a built in app) you can copy the Apostrophe and Select, Copy, then Paste it into your text as Unformatted Text. Even though it is listed as Apostrophe it is the Tick symbol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	character map.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	124588  

Gary, In England a "tick" is a check mark.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

That's correctName:  export.png
Views: 199
Size:  1.1 KB
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sheldon, you could try converting the tick to a shape. Select just the tick & choose Arrange /Convert to Editable Shapes. It will no longer be text but an image on publishing.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The tick mark on this side of the pond is used for dimensions: foot and inches.And is different from quotation marks, or curly quotes.

But I take your point that you Tick off a list of items. But our end, we Check off a list of items.

So all this depends on which side of the Atlantic Lisa resides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pardon my tick.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	124592  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    So all this depends on which side of the Atlantic Lisa resides.
    Neither, New South Wales so it is sleepy time there.

Chris M could have a word; he's only in the next state up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Just to further confuse the issue:

You can also 'tick' off someone = make them angry.

or

Obtain something on 'tick' = getting it free with a promise to pay later.

There's also the 'tick' in a clock = tick-tock

The English language is great
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

And appropriately enough, the word tick contains ick ick ick. Horrid Lyme disease carrying pests.