Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default How do I get one of the new "dynamic web variant websites"?

I've been using Xara web since version 5 and utterly love it.
    I use the 2-stage variant web design at the moment, ie. two websites - one big for desktop one small for mobile phones, but I've upgraded to V16 premium for the sole purpose of using this new dynamic web variant feature. How do I access it, cant see any templates that use it!
    thanks

Default Re: How do I get one of the new "dynamic web variant websites"?

It's in the Website Export options:
    Web Properties > Website > Web Export Options > Scale To Fit Width

Welcome to TalkGraphics (but obviously not to Xara)

Sorry I'm being really dense here but I still don't get it and there doesn't seem to be any documentation or how-to video on this new feature - if it is new.

Does this scale to fit width feature replace having two sites, one for tablet and one for desktop, how do i get it to work, do I start with a big site and it'll shrink it , or do i start with a small site for tablets and it will grow it? If it will grow it, how do i tell it what I want it to look like when large? Where's the preview? Is there a template anywhere that shows it working? There's a very natty video on the sales blurb , I thought "Hey that looks cool I'll upgrade", but no guide anywhere that I can find and now I'm a bit stuck! thanks!

Sorry, Steve, Xara isn't a fully responsive solution (which I think you are referring to). You still need to create a mobile variant as Xara shrinks all the elements on the page, it doesn't rearrange them. It does however cover desktop/tablet and allows for wider pages to be used in desktop mode while still looking right on a tablet.

A simple way to preview what it does is to preview your site with your browser in windowed mode and simply drag the sides in. Try setting the page size to 1280 (File > Page Options > Custom Page Size) and setting the export option to Scale To Fit Width (Maximum Width 1280). Creating a mobile variant with the default 480px nicely covers most of today's common display needs.

Thanks for that. I was hoping to ease the process of making the mobile variant but it looks like i just wasted 35 quid - i was quite happy with version 12, thought this resizing was new feature. never mind. Thanks for your help