Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Cloud Update - Release 62

I've been really bad at posting updates for Xara Cloud, which I know you all are all super interested in and eager to hear about. Will try and keep more on top of it.

We've just released update 62, release notes here: https://docs.xara.com/en/articles/31...18th-july-2019

New Line Charts
    We've now added line charts. These will be in desktop as well although I'm not sure when.

Chart Improvements
    New X and Y axis lines, label rotation, show / hide values button and better controls for resizing charts. Performance improvements are also on their way.

Direct PDF file open
    You can now directly open PDF's from Xara Cloud, edit and re-export as PDF. Previously you were only able to import a PDF into an existing document. This feature is still in beta so a few bugs or quirks might show up.

Shortcuts for SmartFields and Company Fonts
    Added shortcuts to the company SmartFields and Fonts from their respective menus rather than having to go into the control panel to add.

Bug fixes and improvements
    • Fixed an issue where text was not being entered on the iPad.
    • Fixed an issue where auto-correcting text caused an internal error.
    • Fixed an issue where lines and arrows were not snapping to shapes.
    • Fixed an issue when rotating a photo within a layout that's grouped.
    • Fixed an issue when adding new rows to a table in Firefox.
    • Fixed selection issue when dragging on a backpanel of a text panel
    • Fixed an error when changing page selection.
    • Fixed a styling issue within comments.
    • Resetting UI settings will no longer remove recent documents.
    • Improved error message when attempting to access a document you don't have permission to access.
    • Improved error message when attempting to upload a non-supported font type.
    • Improved notifications when a setting is changed in the control panel.
    • Improved error message information when trying to access a document from a disconnected drive.
    • Improved access to company settings from the company fonts and smartfields panel.
    • Improved trial account "days left" tooltips.
    • Improved coffee machine by descaling it.
    • Various other small and server side fixes and improvements.

My job now includes the role of technical writer so I'll be taking over the release notes as well as producing the articles. An awful lot of work goes into each update, both for Desktop and Cloud and I want to highlight that with more detailed and descriptive notes rather than just "we've done a load of bug fixes".

Let me know if you have and questions.

Rob
    IP

Default Re: Xara Cloud Update - Release 62

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Improved coffee machine by descaling it.
    Rob, I had read the Update and was going to complement you on your joke insert, which I can do here instead.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

You have discovered bugs in your coffee machine? With scales?

Congrats on the new responsibilities.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You have discovered bugs in your coffee machine? With scales?

Congrats on the new responsibilities.
    Agreed!
    IP

haha thanks!
    IP

Thanks Rob. Am I correct that the Cloud product does not now claim to give clients the ability to edit published files created in Xara Desktop?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    Thanks Rob. Am I correct that the Cloud product does not now claim to give clients the ability to edit published files created in Xara Desktop?
    Clients should be able to re-publish but they would have to be set a member of your team I believe - https://docs.xara.com/en/articles/29...nd-permissions (sorry I know the article isn't great, I need to improve this).
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    There are still so many things Xara Cloud cannot do (Layers, Placeholders, Presentation Steps, SquishySquash).

From https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/templates/:

On this page we include a small selection of most of the different types of template to give you an idea of the of variety available. Click on the thumbnail to see larger versions. There is also a selection of additional templates in Xara Cloud, our online service that integrates seamlessly with Designer Pro.
    Let me seamlessly access these Cloud Templates into my Desktop application.
    It is seamless marketing hype, still.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Rob I would really enjoy a similar list of bugs fixed for the Xara updates.
    IP

@yjs

Xara Cloud can be used to edit and republish .xar documents. There are many Desktop customers allowing their clients to use Xara Cloud for website updates in particular. Others use Xara Cloud in the new document/design collaboration process with commenting and online review sessions. It is really powerful when the client sees the designer making changes in real-time on the screen. However, nothing is perfect and we are thankful for the customers reporting compatibilities issues. Obviously, it is impossible for us to support all old .xar files in Xara Cloud but we try as much as it makes sense. All you need to do is share edit the .xar file from within Xara Cloud. Coming in a few weeks will be multiple company support so you can set up a sandbox for each of your clients. More details coming...

@acron
    You have pointed out features that Xara Cloud does not have, nor does it claim to have, and nor do they impact the ability for a client to do simple edits and republish with Cloud. To date, these capabilities have not been requested by Cloud users but we do appreciate that they might be important to you.

Hopefully, all Xara Cloud templates work in the Desktop products. Save the file in your cloud storage of choice is it is accessible by both products. Easy. Leveraging cloud storage for documents is seamless for users that take advantage of the benefits of Xara offline/online editing of which it was designed for.

Happy creating!
    Matt
    IP