Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Pro+v21 - Smart Duplication

Dear Xara...

Take three spaced squares and colour them RGB and Group.
    Clone two copies.
    Enable Smart Duplication (SD) for these and grow one left and one right.

Bug - Only the end two squares are duplicated, giving: <RGRGRGRGRG...RGB & RGB...GBGBGBGBGB>

A feature that can only count to two is dumb!

Ungroup RGB and Soft-Group.

Bug - The Smart Duplication button is shaded out.

Ungroup and move the middle box to a different layer.
    Select RGB and Smart Duplicate.

Bug - The duplicated boxes remain in one layer, regardless of the original layer a box is on.

Place R, G & B randomly on the page.
    With the Smart Duplication button enabled, select any two.
    The SD spacing handles top-right & bottom right appear so you can drag right or down or even align top or left.

Bug
    - Selecting more than two and the CD button is again shaded.
    Bug - Aligning top and the spacing handle disappears.
    Bug - Aligning left and the spacing handle disappears.
    Bug - Not offering a spacing handle on each edge is a pain.

Set R, G & B horizontally spaced.
    Set R, G & B vertically spaced.
    Offset one square in each RGB block.

Bug - The (+) is missing in the orthogonal direction.

Again, you have added a feature that is next to useless down to poor specification and implementation.
    Where is your beta-testing?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Pro+v21 - Smart Duplication

not only that, they have taken out the show boundary handles button and the registry change that Eva said we could use to revert to the old handles no longer appears to work
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    not only that, they have taken out the show boundary handles button and the registry change that Eva said we could use to revert to the old handles no longer appears to work
    handrawn, I believe Shift+ctrl+1 is still toggling this.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

as far as I can see Mr G that rotates the blue/white boundary, not the same thing ?

what worries me is that without the show boundary handles button, we are back in the land of squishy/squashy, no way to stretch a bitmap, only 'resize it's frame'
    Nothing lasts forever...

ok my bad I got it phew!

thanks for that I can sleep tonight
    Nothing lasts forever...

... but although that makes stretching ok we are still unable to get rid of the silly blue/white static ants if the registry key switch is broken...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Alarm bells are ringing for me if you can’t revert back to old style handles!

This must just be a spin-off from the browser version as it’s already super easy to duplicate/copy/clone and equally space objects on the desktop. Does the new smart method allow you numerically specify the distance between objects or have any other benefits?
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

all is well jono re bounding boxes ... just a registry mix-up

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...754#post634754

I haven't dabbled with the smart duplicate yet, but the release notes imply that there is
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thumbs down Re: Pro+v21 - Smart Duplication

Dear Xara & @mb365...

I have read https://xara.kayako.com/article/581-smart-duplication and it is clear you have just leveraged the Smart Table row/column duplication of same, equally badly.

Both Smart Duplication and Smart Tables leave you guessing to their behaviour.
    There are so many degenerate cases.

[1] Some objects can't be duplicated using the Smart Duplication handles for technical reasons.
    [2] If so they will not appear when you select the object with the option turned on.
    [3] When this occurs, you can still duplicate the object by holding the right mouse button and dragging, or copy (Ctrl + C) and pasting (Ctrl + V).
    [1] It might be nice for you, your designer(s) and developer(s) to advise what these "objects" might be? Almost anything with Smart in its name? Text Inside?

[2] Take Soft-Groups.
    Two selected objects can be soft-grouped until you have Smart Duplication enabled.
    Two objects that are soft-grouped cannot be Smart Duplicated.

[3] By the way, you would never Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V, you would Ctrl+C/Shift+Ctrl+V and then Ctrl+Drag H/V to a required position.
    This secures the modicum of placement, totally destroyed by plonking a complex copied object centre screen.
    And anyhow, this is what Clone (Ctrl+K) is for.

Groups are treated as one object when duplicating.
    Sorry, not always true.

Objects must be aligned next to each other in order for the handles to appear.
    Again, wrong.

If one object is out of alignment however, then the handles will not show
    Attachment 129120
    This concept of tramlines is so arbitrary that it defies belief.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Train delays - unexpected fourth block on the line.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	129123
    All you can do is perm any three from four!

The one thing I have found useful is to use a Text Inside shape and Smart Duplicate across and down to make a far cleaner Table.
    I can "merge cells" and do all sorts of Pushes to good understandable effect.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    all is well jono re bounding boxes ... just a registry mix-up

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...754#post634754

I haven't dabbled with the smart duplicate yet, but the release notes imply that there is
    Thanks hd for confirmation - I've just updated my demo version of DP+ and pleased to see Smart duplication works with the 'old school' handles.

After a brief play I actually quite like idea of the new Smart duplication, but... I'm not sure I'll ever use it much because of the unpredictability of when something will or wont duplicate.

Name:	not-so-smart-duplication.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	129149

In the example below, three shapes are selected, then the lower plus button is clicked (three times in total) but only the gold and the grey shapes are duplicated. If you repeat the same but with the right plus button you get alternating duplicates created. The small blue arrow indicates what shape has been duplicated after each click.

Name:	smart-dup.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	129150

Name:	smart-dup-right.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	129151

It would be useful if Xara:
    • gave some solid, practical examples of it being used
    • told which objects can and can't be duplicated (as mentioned by Acorn above)
    • comprehensive help documentation to explain any anomalies as per my example
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022