Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Help needed from XDP16 users

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Just as a matter of interest ... to me, I no-one else ... If I renew my update service when version 17 comes out, will that allow me to patch my version 15 install as well?
    I would doubt it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Do you know the other thing I hate?
    (And I'll probably find more.)

The fact that during the installation, it didn't ask what name I wanted to use.
    The programme has simply picked the User Name from the Windows 'Users' directory.

This may not matter to anyone else, but, it does to me.

Another C*** change.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Wow! Two things that make you wish you hadn't upgraded to get all of those new features that came out with version 12 onwards are having to click on the mode button to change the node mode on an image, and Xara installed itself using the user name of the logged in user? Seriously?
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Wow! Two things that make you wish you hadn't upgraded to get all of those new features that came out with version 12 onwards are having to click on the mode button to change the node mode on an image, and Xara installed itself using the user name of the logged in user? Seriously?
    Yes. Seriously.
    The two things I've mentioned in this thread are EXTREMELY annoying and totally useless and not needed.

When Windows installed itself, it decided to give me the user name 'rikda'
    So, you honestly think, that is what I want to see when Xara starts up???

you can change the windows user name - but that might have implications elsewhere....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you can change the windows user name - but that might have implications elsewhere....
    Messing about with names in the Users folder, is not something I care to do.

All the previous version I have, allowed the input of your name.
    Or does Xara/Magix think that their new users are incapable of typing in their own names during the installation?!

I can't remember the exact terminology that was used, but early on you can choose 'default' or 'custom' install. That's where you can change the name and install location.

To change the Licensee in Xara, you can use RegEdit in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePr o\16.
    I don't endorse tweaking the Registry unless you are happy with doing so.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Rik,

Could you please explain what you mean by "user name." As Acorn indicated, this would be the Licensee. On my laptop, it's Admin, on my desktop, it's John. The only place I've seen this indicated is under Help, About. Where else does it show up?

As for the photo tool, I was also one who complained about the loss of the squishy squashy handles. Xara put it back and it's easy to find, but the default is what you see now, cropping on the top and sides , rounding the corners using the upper left handle, rotating with the upper right handle, resizing using the lower right. What I have found is that I almost never use the squishy squashy handles, but I almost always use the crop and resize handles. So for me, the new default handle method is ideal.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Rik,
    I have every sympathy with the situation you find yourself in by virtue of upgrading.
    The latest version is awful for so many reasons, as you are finding out. I blame Windows for this trend, and specifically Cortana, who is, I believe 'The Evil Nanny' that 'The Nanny State' refers to.
    MagiXara has joined that bandwagon and the 2 things that you have referred to are part of that...and there will be more things that will annoy you as time passes and you become more familiar with this latest dog's breakfast. And then there is the BBC...but, don't get me started!
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.