Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Xara Designer update service

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    bound by the decisions of their superiors
    That's a quaint phrase in 2019! .. and so often untrue ( the managers/bosses being superior ).
    IP

That's a quaint phrase in 2019! .. and so often untrue ( the managers/bosses being superior ).
    Sad but true Paul,

Strange that Rob always mentions that Xara is in charge and that Magix has no influence on the software
    Care to comment Rob,................

Money makes the world go round
    But we'll keep running in circles.
    Last edited by haakoo; 20 September 2019 at 01:05 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post
    I am annoyed by this as well.

I have added a rule in the Windows firewall that prevents Designer Pro from phoning home. For me, that has prevented the update dialogue box from appearing every time I start Designer Pro.

Note: I am expecting that, after a while, Designer Pro will have to contact Xara's servers to validate the licence. If and when that happens, I hope all I have to do is temporarily open up the access in the firewall to allow the validation. Then close it again if the update dialogue box reappears.

If there's online verification, I'm done. No more updates. The xara stuff I have now is just fine for everything I do already and I'm building a completely offline workstation for graphics and music. Online verification is and has always been an intrusive practice no matter what company does it and software as a service (SAS), i.e. Adobe's subscription model, is nothing but a cash drain. Old software works just fine. If Xara or any other company wants to do subscription, it should be subscription to official tech product support. I'd gladly pay 5-10 a month to always have official Xara help ready for me at any time I need them. Sending people to forums to have questions answered by other users is just a cost saving measure that Adobe and Xara use so they don't have to provide much support for the mundane questions they don't want to answer.

The direction of professional software in general is just...I guess to put it politely, I think this industry needs to steer this ship in another direction or it's gonna hit an ice burg that's completely avoidable.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com
    IP

Just checked on these boards after years of absence to post asking the exact same thing, but for version 11. Haven't upgraded since, and get the popup the first time I start it in a day. Effin annoying, and to find out it doesn't honor the 'Don't show' checkbox (which I suspected, but thought might have to do with Administrator privileges) is a real slap in the face. Nag screens are for shareware, not purchased products. Xara and Magix: I will never again recommend your products to anyone. I might change my mind if you gave a way to truly disable that thing. But until then, adios.

Best wishes,
    David
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it doesn't do it for me - all I can think is I went to the link and downloaded the update [installed it in a sandbox just to test but that's probably irrelevant] - maybe the servers note this

and disabled info popups

Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post
    This is what I see when I enter Xara Designer Pro X 16.2.0.56957 DL x64 Jun 5 2019

(For some reason I could not embed the image using the forum embed tool)

https://www.promidi.com.au/sdfsadfhs...date%20nag.jpg

I can prevent it from appearing using a specially crafted Windows Firewall rule.
    turns out blocking it in firewall is what I had done.... must have forgot... does work [so far]...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I'm closing this thread. Point has been made and this is nothing we're in control of.
    IP