Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Alls well that ends well

Thank you Fred. I have made the appropriate request/grumble. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara B View Post
    Hi Bob

I'm going to move this to Dear Xara forum to give it a bit more exposure, but you are much more likely to get an answer and have your disappointment officially registered with Magix management if you submit a ticket or give them a call https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/contact .
    Pretty much this ^ If you want any hope of changing the update service, you'll need to get your complaints raised with those responsible for it - which is Magix. They won't go looking through these forums.

Morning All

Thank you for your input guys and particularly Matt for your time out to give a full explanation

I see both sides of the story having been in business all my life. I do appreciate that Xara needs to pay the rent and developers between major releases while we click away in my case using the software to value add my business weather its van graphics, an advert in a local publication, web content, stationery design, a pallet label, or a 'Wet Paint' sign.

Customers work on perceived value, that is the gap between what you needed to charge for the product and what the customer thought they got for their money. When expiry of an update means 'dropping back' and 'taking away' services this doesn't go down well. Whilst access to a much enhanced library has been a feature of the current model it's correct that this needed to be charged for on a per-period basis but the program should have some basic content like page elements which are native.

Most other software vendors will allow access to the last version released prior to their expiry. By not doing this customer perceived value of the upgrade collapses, as in many cases re-installation may be due to a fault or failure on their hardware or a wish to upgrade their hardware.

It's also important to try and engineer how the customer sees an impending upgrade. I own other software packages where I cant wait for the bill coming in to pay it in the first 24 hours to get the new stuff. 'Upgrade to delight' will always develop sticky customers faster than 'upgrade to survive'

I also feel for older users. I'm about to retire in the next few years and on a reduced income subscriptions to software and staying legal will eat into my income a lot more than it does now. Keeping all my apps up to date or subscribed will cost me about £600 a year. I don't intend to sit on village benches and play bingo in the church hall for the next 20 years. I think a single activation license for senior citizens (subject to proof) would be a great idea.

Kind regards to all the team

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurden View Post
    Morning All

Thank you for your input guys and particularly Matt for your time out to give a full explanation

I see both sides of the story having been in business all my life. I do appreciate that Xara needs to pay the rent and developers between major releases while we click away in my case using the software to value add my business weather its van graphics, an advert in a local publication, web content, stationery design, a pallet label, or a 'Wet Paint' sign.

Customers work on perceived value, that is the gap between what you needed to charge for the product and what the customer thought they got for their money. When expiry of an update means 'dropping back' and 'taking away' services this doesn't go down well. Whilst access to a much enhanced library has been a feature of the current model it's correct that this needed to be charged for on a per-period basis but the program should have some basic content like page elements which are native.

Most other software vendors will allow access to the last version released prior to their expiry. By not doing this customer perceived value of the upgrade collapses, as in many cases re-installation may be due to a fault or failure on their hardware or a wish to upgrade their hardware.

It's also important to try and engineer how the customer sees an impending upgrade. I own other software packages where I cant wait for the bill coming in to pay it in the first 24 hours to get the new stuff. 'Upgrade to delight' will always develop sticky customers faster than 'upgrade to survive'

I also feel for older users. I'm about to retire in the next few years and on a reduced income subscriptions to software and staying legal will eat into my income a lot more than it does now. Keeping all my apps up to date or subscribed will cost me about £600 a year. I don't intend to sit on village benches and play bingo in the church hall for the next 20 years. I think a single activation license for senior citizens (subject to proof) would be a great idea.

Kind regards to all the team

Bob
    Bob, delightfully put.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Bob,

+1 for senior's discounts. Limited income is one of the other reasons that I did not renew recently.

About retirement, there are not enough hours in the day to do everything that I want.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Smile Re: Alls well that ends well

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bob, delightfully put.

Acorn
    Thank you Mr Acorn.

I've developed a unique skill set negotiating with people in Yorkshire.

I don't know of any software offering specials like this for senior citizens.

If I was not a senior citizen I'd be miffed to be subsidising their choice of software.

Existing users are already unhappy with losing features if the subscription is stopped.

If Xara/Magix did this they stand to reduce their revenue sharply since most Xara users seem to be of advancing age.

Retirement might be an opportunity to look at non-subscription alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Existing users are already unhappy with losing features if the subscription is stopped.
    ...Retirement might be an opportunity to look at non-subscription alternatives.
    But Xara claims the Update Service is not a subscription model as you "own forever" your purchased version; Xara adds a cascade of nag screens and removes access to the on-line Components, whose removal all but stymies actual use.

A case in point would be NavBars.
    Yes, you can build your own.
    Yes, you can clone or insert one your previously downloaded (until you re-install the application).

So on a re-install, you revert back to the purchased version, losing functionality of all the later Smart Shapes you included in your designs.
    You don't know what is new and broken as there is no level of clarity in the Release Notes.
    You lose all the bug fixes.

The Update Service was to spread revenue across the year for Xara and for us to access frequent updates.
    For v12, I got a raft of updates to v12.8.1.
    For v15, I got v15.0, and v15.1. My XWDP15 has reverted to v15.0 on my PC so I am in Squishy Squashy limbo.
    For v16, I have v16.0, v16.1 & v16.2.

I have kept v16.2, v15.1, v12.8.1 & v11.2.5 of XDPX and v15.0, v12.8.1 & v11.2.5 all installed to cover my work; I have no other application where I feel I have even the slightest need to be so retentive.
    (Smart transform, Smart Tables, "evolving" Text Inside, "evolving" Smart Shapes, messed-up User Interface).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat