Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    HULL U.K.
    Posts
    29

    Default Alls well that ends well

    I've never been able to really get my head round the costing model of the 365 product.
    When I upgrade apparently I'm buying the latest version licence and serial number with 2 activations outright and I have access to the appropriate download in case I lose the installer package.
    The downloadable content which in early versions came complete now comes from a library which I get one years subscription to with my update.
    Is this right?

    So I coughed up my hundred quid and dismay set in when it turns out there's no update because I'm already on the latest version.
    Then I'm feeling miffed because I'm bribed with a copy of Movie Edit Pro which I didn't ask for to justify the hundred quid.

    So I loaded the Movie Edit Pro just for a look and two hours later we have a decent demo video on Youtube for our band thanks to the proDAD image stabiliser plugin.

    Probably 100 quid well spent in the end but can you confirm the pricing model for me and am I on a separate upgrade path for Movie Edit Pro or will the two update together with my 365 subscription

    Kind regards
    Bob
    User since Webstyle 2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    9,636

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    Bob, all you money has done is paid for access to updates for another year.

    Xara "promised" 3 to 4 updates a year. In the last two years, there have been five. v16.2 was out on 05 June 2019 so don't expect anything soon.
    Sadly, I fallback to v12.8, the sixth-last version, which I feel is stable for my work. I have given up reporting faults as the effort is rarely acknowledged.

    Your purchase allows a fallback to v16.2 when your update service expires. If you had not upgraded, your fallback would be v15.1.
    On expiry, you lose access to all on-line content. Basically, you have paid for a taster. If you develop with the latest version, Xara is effectively locking you into that version (and renewal) as otherwise your sites will degrade back to your fallback version. Xara claims you can keep and use the latest version but it evaporates the instant you have to re-install.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Placitas, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    36,959

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    I hear you Bob. Glad you were able to get some value for the video editing app.
    Gary W. Priester
    Mr. Moderator Emeritus Dude
    , Sir

    gwpriester.com | Custom-Stereograms.com | eyeTricks on Facebook






  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Liverpool, NY
    Posts
    2,065

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    Hi Bob

    I'm going to move this to Dear Xara forum to give it a bit more exposure, but you are much more likely to get an answer and have your disappointment officially registered with Magix management if you submit a ticket or give them a call https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/contact .
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

    The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    Quote Originally Posted by bobmurden View Post
    ...
    The downloadable content which in early versions came complete now comes from a library which I get one years subscription to with my update.
    Is this right?

    So I coughed up my hundred quid and dismay set in when it turns out there's no update because I'm already on the latest version.
    Then I'm feeling miffed because I'm bribed with a copy of Movie Edit Pro which I didn't ask for to justify the hundred quid.

    So I loaded the Movie Edit Pro just for a look and two hours later we have a decent demo video on Youtube for our band thanks to the proDAD image stabiliser plugin.

    Probably 100 quid well spent in the end but can you confirm the pricing model for me and am I on a separate upgrade path for Movie Edit Pro or will the two update together with my 365 subscription
    Hi Bob,

    Before version 12, I believe, there was some downloadable content, but most of it, like most of the web templates, was for sale individually. With the new Update Service, all of the content became freely available for download within 365 days from purchase/upgrade. You also got a new version with many new features and an advance on any new features that came out in the next 365 days which you could keep if you didn't pay after 365 days, unless you have to reinstall the program, in which case it drops back to the features that you had when you last paid (just like it used to be). As well, you can download all of the content, with the exception of all Pixabay images, and keep it for use after the Update Service expires. I did just that last week before my 365 days were up. Xara continues to work if you don't renew the Update Service.

    If a new version, say 17, comes out during the Update Service period, you can get it - included in the Update Service. Of course, as Acorn indicated, it disappears if you have to reinstall with an expired Update Service. Back before the Update Service program started, you would not have gotten a new version, only the version that you purchased.

    The 365 day thing was renamed to Update Service a year or so ago to be consistent with the Magix Update Service with other Magix software, and to not be confused with Magix' 365 subscription service, available for some programs, like Vegas. This 365 program is a real subscription service and use of the program expires if you don't renew. Xara DPX does not have a 365 subscription program, only the Update Service, so the program keeps working. Mine does.

    Did you get Movie Edit Pro or Vegas Movie Studio 16? I ask, because the current offering is for Vegas Movie Studio, not Movie Edit Pro. If you got Vegas Movie Studio 16, then it would be the base version with limited features. The Vegas line has no Update Service. So when a new version comes out, you have to pay for it if you want it. For the base program, there is not even an upgrade possibility at a lower price than a new purchase. Note that there is a dedicated Vegas user forum.

    If you actually got Movie Edit Pro (MEP), I expect that it would be the base program, again with limited features and again, no Update Service and no Upgrade possibility, so you are not on the merry-go-round. Only MEP Plus and Premium are on the Update Service. I have seen the Plus version on sale for the price of the basic version, and the Premium version on sale for the Upgrade price of the Plus version. Shop and save. If a new version of MEP comes out and Plus is available for the same price as the base version, it would be advantageous to take that offer rather than purchase the base program for the same price. We, on the Magix forum, have found that users of the base program quickly run into the limitations.

    If you have MEP Plus, then you can use Xara DPX or Photo & Graphics Designer as the graphics editor to fix up a photo, or to create animated/static graphics/animations in MEPP using the interface with Xara. The graphic or animation comes back onto the timeline. Presently, there is a problem with this fantastic feature that, hopefully, Magix will sort out in the near future.

    There is also a separate forum for Magix products .

    Either way, whichever video program that you got is independent of the Xara Update Service.

    HTH
    John
    Xara DPX(16.2.0.56957)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    9,636

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    There are two important but subtle things that make the Update Service incomplete.

    With Web Designer 11, one can still access and use all the catalogue items.
    I paid for and still can additionally access Template Pack 1 & 2, Widget Pack 1 and Web Pack 1 & 2.
    For those without XWD11(P), you can see what is available in http://downloadsv11.xara.com/web/catalog/index.html.

    Magix forward to v16, and if you in cover, you can probably access v12, v15 & v16 catalogues fully from each respective application.
    Out of cover, you get blocked from most of the items, http://downloadsv16.xara.com/web/catalog/index.html.
    If you try to access any on-line content, the application directs you to a purchase page.
    What was rightly accessible in v11 (Smart Shapes and Page Elements), essential to using the Xara Desktop application, are totally blocked.
    Only if you have downloaded and used these elements can you ever access them in the Local Designs gallery.

    Before the Update Service, Xara operated on an annual deployment but there were bug fix rollouts that you can download and use.
    In your Update Service cover, you have tasters, with eventual rollback, to your purchase version.
    This totally obliterates and bug fixes Xara may have released, which now are as rare as rocking horse teeth.
    Can anyone name another software vendor that sells a package that cannot have any bugs removed that are there at time of purchase and have been fixed within the year?
    Xara needs to reverse this time warp and allow the Update Service to expire at the current version.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    Quote Originally Posted by bobmurden View Post
    I've never been able to really get my head round the costing model of the 365 product.
    When I upgrade apparently I'm buying the latest version licence and serial number with 2 activations outright and I have access to the appropriate download in case I lose the installer package.
    The downloadable content which in early versions came complete now comes from a library which I get one years subscription to with my update.
    Is this right?

    So I coughed up my hundred quid and dismay set in when it turns out there's no update because I'm already on the latest version.
    Then I'm feeling miffed because I'm bribed with a copy of Movie Edit Pro which I didn't ask for to justify the hundred quid.

    So I loaded the Movie Edit Pro just for a look and two hours later we have a decent demo video on Youtube for our band thanks to the proDAD image stabiliser plugin.

    Probably 100 quid well spent in the end but can you confirm the pricing model for me and am I on a separate upgrade path for Movie Edit Pro or will the two update together with my 365 subscription

    Kind regards
    Bob
    User since Webstyle 2
    Hi Bob,

    Thank you for the question and for being a long time user of Xara products. It's important that you get the correct answer. You bought 16.2, and now it is the version you own outright. The reason why there was 'no upgrade version' is because the previous version you bought had 1-year of update service that gave you free access to new product updates during that year. You took advantage of that. Now for 16.2 and going forward for the next year, you will have access to the new releases to try again. If you purchase the upgrade in a year again, you will own outright the current version at the time....and repeat. If you decide not to purchase in a year, then you can still continue to use those new features until you have to reinstall. Then, of course, the version you can install will be the last version you purchased outright. In addition, the content catalog is available during the year and you can download it locally for offline access and for continued usage after the update service expires, assuming you do not continue to upgrade.

    Magix likes to offer other products with upgrades. In your case, it sounds like the offer was Movie Edit Pro and I'm glad you were successful with it. I'm not surprised by this because many Xara Pro customers use Movie Edit Pro. It is a separate product with its own upgrade and update service path.

    Happy creating!

    Kind regards,
    Matt Bolton
    CEO of Xara

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ...Granada province, Andalucia, Spain
    Posts
    5,176

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    Well Golly Gosh!
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brockville, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    4,208

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Before the Update Service, Xara operated on an annual deployment but there were bug fix rollouts that you can download and use.
    In your Update Service cover, you have tasters, with eventual rollback, to your purchase version.
    This totally obliterates and bug fixes Xara may have released, which now are as rare as rocking horse teeth.
    A really good example of this idiocy ... I purchased XP&GD15 and found that the smart transform really crippled it. But that was fixed during my Update service period. However I decided not to renew, and had to replace my office laptop. On reinstalling I once again had to revert to the original V15.0 - complete with crippled smart transform, which meant that I now have to use V10 to be productive. DESPITE Kate's earlier assurance (on this forum) that BUG FIXES would be looked on as individual cases, I don't believe that this has ever happened. As far as I'm concerned the Smart Transform was a BUG, and should have been treated as such. Having to revert to V10 to get round it, is just bad.

    I'm not even worried about losing version 16. However, it would have been nice, since I bought V15 to have reverted to AT LEAST the last patched revision of the version that I purchased.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA, USA
    Posts
    857

    Default Re: Alls well that ends well

    ~Fred

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •