Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pantone, CMYK, RGB and Hex differences in Xara Designer Pro X

When I worked with Xara for the first time, I immediately noticed that Xara does not master color management.
    But I was surprised by the playful lightness of the application and dealt with the problem of the lack of color management.
    Result: color consistent working with Xara is only possible via color tables, color profiles and the subsequent check (soft proof) in Acrobat Pro. Assuming you've calibrated your system.
    For very delicate jobs I also have a colour proof made to be absolutely sure.

A printing issue not mentioned so far is the nature of the surface to be printed, e.g. black anodised aluminum, stainless steel, 'white' powder-coat, black powder-coat, paper, canvas, perspex, etc. and the desired printed finish, e.g. matte, gloss, satin, etc. I used to design a lot of artwork for screen-printing of electronic equipment panels in CorelDRAW which has extensive support for Pantone colours. There are many variables and interactions, so it is very hard to get the desired result on-screen and it boils down to obtaining actual samples. No display that emits light can possibly show the same colours as an article reflecting light and no display can emulate metallic sheen or translucence. The only way to get the desired result is through test prints on the actual medium by the business that will be doing the job/s. It's costly, but the result is good.

Unless your working to produce design for large firms that can dish out money to get their pantone matched across multiple items, your better off just relaxing about color matching to the T and get the job done in CMYK which is cheaper for your clients.

Many thanks for your detailed reply... hope your arm recovered !

So in conclusion, it looks like any customers that send us PDF artwork which contain Pantone Colours, we'll need to replace those colours for an RGB equivalent to ensure that they get printed correctly on our CMYK Printer as Xara can't be relied on to print those Pantone Colours into a close CMYK/RGB match.

Seems a shame, we've been advising our customers if they want a close colour match to send us artwork with Pantone Colours embedded... but if Xara can't convert those correctly then maybe we should be asking for RGB colours instead.

Many thanks again for your answers, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ClubleyM View Post
    Many thanks for your detailed reply... hope your arm recovered !

So in conclusion, it looks like any customers that send us PDF artwork which contain Pantone Colours, we'll need to replace those colours for an RGB equivalent to ensure that they get printed correctly on our CMYK Printer as Xara can't be relied on to print those Pantone Colours into a close CMYK/RGB match.

Seems a shame, we've been advising our customers if they want a close colour match to send us artwork with Pantone Colours embedded... but if Xara can't convert those correctly then maybe we should be asking for RGB colours instead.

Many thanks again for your answers, much appreciated.
    No, your incorrect in that assumption. I have done many pantone work for clients. Just grab yourself a CMYK/Pantone book and punch in the numbers into Xara.

https://polycolors.ca/product/panton...AaAjt8EALw_wcB

See file attached, make sure you set your colors to simulate print colors. It is in the file. Use a pantone process color imaging guide.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi! New user to Design Pro, i have been testing doing print documents in CMYK format, what i have seen is the color of black and grey when i export to pdf not in right CMYK value, i using Adobe Acrobat Pro to check the documents, in my job on a digital printshop we prepress and convert pdf to cmyk from our clients when we print. Problem here is that black and grey is build of all four colors an not in only black.
    Our machine are counting click and costs more to print in color, when it is a document that should be in only black.
    I test and make my own color of black and grey which be correct in export.
    It would be nice if you could make your own color palette in CMYK and save that, but can't find that, the default looks to be in HSV, see picture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black_Grey_test.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	124521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black_Grey_test_Acrobat.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	124522Black_Grey_test.pdfBlack_Grey_test.xar

Every printer prints rich black with different values, it is best one asks the printer what the values are. Yes Acrobat pro is good for checking colors.

As far as I'm aware, you CAN make your own CMYK palette.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I think exporting 100% k [ie no CMY] black from Xara needs a specific PDF setting and not the default
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...