Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Pantone, CMYK, RGB and Hex differences in Xara Designer Pro X

Xara only has an RGB workspace - like mike said

so it is pointless looking at anything on a screen from this program that is not RGB

you have to 'dead reckon' your pantone/cmyk print [or check it in acrobat which has a true workspace that will compensate]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Xara only has an RGB workspace - like mike said

so it is pointless looking at anything on a screen from this program that is not RGB

you have to 'dead reckon' your pantone/cmyk print [or check it in acrobat which has a true workspace that will compensate]
    Ok i understand that, but on Magix site i can read this on CMYK support
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_cmyk.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	124553

you can do what it says, you just can't monitor it on the screen in Xara as you work and expect colour fidelity

when I said pointless, I meant from the point of view of colour matching - you will just have to take what you see on the monitor on trust that it will look right when it is printed, which it should if you have used the correct cmyk values and you print cmyk - but the advice is always to check it in acrobat or another proofing program that does have a cmyk colour space [but even then additive colour will never look exactly the same as subtractive colour - the only true test is in the print]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you can do what it says, you just can't monitor it on the screen in Xara as you work and expect colour fidelity

when I said pointless, I meant from the point of view of colour matching - you will just have to take what you see on the monitor on trust that it will look right when it is printed, which it should if you have used the correct cmyk values and you print cmyk - but the advice is always to check it in acrobat or another proofing program that does have a cmyk colour space [but even then additive colour will never look exactly the same as subtractive colour - the only true test is in the print]
    Your viewing in RGB, even in acrobat your still viewing it in RGB, because all monitors are designed that way. Color correction is something that after all these years is a hit and miss situation unless your clients want an exact match, you will have a great challenge trying to please them. In my agreement I do mention that cmyk colors come our duller than screen colors etc...

...Printers produce optimal colors but due to the complexities of color-matching across devices, they cannot match colors exactly as it might appear on your monitor, printer or similar proofing device and there are no guarantees that colors across multiple printed materials will look the same. Printed colors always appear duller and darker on paper. To have colors match across multiple print materials please ask for a new quote which will be costlier and includes color proof.

true enough which is why I added the bit in parenthesis - and your monitors need to be calibrated and have a high enough gamut for the RGB to be 'accurate' and match across devices
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice one. But For average joe blow as a client that only makes things more complicated.

all life is complicated - the secret is to know how best to simplify it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    I test making the same here, and the color that xara shows on screen with these values CMYK and Pantone looks the same on my screen as yours.
    If thats you asking? Looks like xara shows these value wrong on display. The output of pdf is correct, checked color value in Acrobat Pro,
    Print it on my job in an Konica Minolta 1100C, included o photo i take of that print, it looks right there to.
    Tested in CorelDraw and it shows CMYK and Pantone right there on screen. Looks like Xara has little color problems.

Export to pdf and print pdf, else xara print the colors on screen, think thats the problem for you

Attachment 124551 Attachment 124552
    Thanks for your tests..

I just want to clarify that I TOTALLY understand that a monitor screen colour will look different to printed media. I get that totally and that's not the issue here.

Screen grabs that I posted were just to help explain the problem. I don't design by screen colours, I get that totally.

However, I also raised the question with MAGIX and they've been able to replicate the problem, and are now discussing it with Development.

The problem is upon printing, it always has been. If artwork contains Pantone Colours, or even CMYK colours, you would HOPE that when you print it, it comes out as a close match to the Pantone colour that it's referencing. But to come out as a totally different colour, is not acceptable.

I shall update you all when Magix come back with a resolution to it.

I do appreciate your time and input however, it's been an interesting read.

Have you done a similar test with adobe illustrator? What has been your findings?

Quote Originally Posted by ClubleyM View Post
    Thanks for your tests..

I just want to clarify that I TOTALLY understand that a monitor screen colour will look different to printed media. I get that totally and that's not the issue here.

Screen grabs that I posted were just to help explain the problem. I don't design by screen colours, I get that totally.

However, I also raised the question with MAGIX and they've been able to replicate the problem, and are now discussing it with Development.

The problem is upon printing, it always has been. If artwork contains Pantone Colours, or even CMYK colours, you would HOPE that when you print it, it comes out as a close match to the Pantone colour that it's referencing. But to come out as a totally different colour, is not acceptable.

I shall update you all when Magix come back with a resolution to it.

I do appreciate your time and input however, it's been an interesting read.
    Did you test export to pdf and print the pdf, is it wrong color too? In my test the color is more right and checking pdf in acrobat these cmyk and pantone value is exact as in xara